Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

working in UAE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
infoseeker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: working in UAE Reply with quote

Anybody who wants to share their teaching experience in UAE with me? Idea
what difficulties did/do you face? What did/do you find rewarding? I am a MFL teacher...not ESL, but is it really different!?
Thanks for your contribution
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: MFL? Reply with quote

Sorry, but what is MFL? (too many acronyms in education Smile ) Also wonder why you didn't post this in the UAE section...
Albulbul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject: acronyms and things Reply with quote

I too, teach TEFL or TESOL in the ME but I am baffled by MFL !!!

What is it ?
infoseeker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed
sorry, MFL means Modern Foreign Languages Wink

I have posted it in General Middle East forum, which I guess covers UAE as well.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: never encountered it... Reply with quote

I have never run into anyone with an MFL degree, and I don't know how ME institutions would react to one. First off, I don't know whether that is an MA or a BA. If it is just a BA, that would exclude you from the vast majority of the good jobs in the Middle East. There are some 'acceptable' jobs in that area for BAs, but I have never paid much attention to them since I stuck to university positions preferring to have the protection of being a government employee rather than a private for-profit business employee.

My experience in the Emirates is from about ten years ago, but I enjoyed it. I hope you have checked out the Job Information Journal area of Dave's site. If not, I think you should browse through there and then re-post your question in the UAE section. The more specific your questions, the more likely to get useful information back. Smile
infoseeker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to answer your question (or was it not!) I am a Modern Foreign Languages teacher, with 2 MAs. I have an interview for Jumeirah College in Dubai and was just trying to get info on either the school or the area. My husband has got some family over there, and I have been visiting them, but short periods of holiday never give the true insight into the real life of a country! I have lived in pakistan before so I am quite adjustable. I teach French but I consider ESL quite the same job, as you are teaching a foreign language, and one of my MA is in English.
You are right, maybe I should have considered to post my thread on the UAE forum, but got no answer to the one I put there. So , was just trying to reach another public! Smile
Thanks for the advice about reading what has been posted on Dave 's Job information forum, and yes, I have; Got plenty from it, it was useful.
Can I ask why you left UAE? was it for promotion purposes or something to do with the area?
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: mfl Reply with quote

Having a degree in Modern Foreign Languages and working in EFL is actually quite common. Certainly in Saudi Arabia I have come across several whose intgial field was in teaching German, French or Russian.

Personally for most EFL jobs I would rather hire someone witha degree in foreign langauges than someone who had spent their time at university reading about Postmodernism.
ClockworkBjorn

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: mfl Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:

Personally for most EFL jobs I would rather hire someone witha degree in foreign langauges than someone who had spent their time at university reading about Postmodernism.

Haha, that was good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: