Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marrying a Cambodian girl : in-laws advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give us an update, anbrainblasta? I've been following your saga with great interest, and would love to know if there have been any developments since your last post.
anbrainblasta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Update:

Well Agoodstory things have fairly moved along since. Ive just returned from Cambodia to my base in korea after 2 weeks running around PP getting all the paperwork together, doing the engagement party and having a great time with my girl. All going well the wedding will take place the first week of the new year.

Im made a downpayment of $1000 last week and will have to pay another $3000 on the day of the wedding. So not that heafty.

Just to reply to some of the more negative posters:
My figure of $10,000 was everything included, several return flights, passport, engagement rings, medical checks, paperwork clearance for the corrupt government khmer officials, and other little things which add up in the run up to a wedding. Only the $4000 is directly going to her family.

After the parents asked for the $1000 for home improvements, there's been no further requests in the last 3 months. I think they were just pushing it after I has sent a couple of hundred a month previous for khmer new year.

As to my relationship with the girl. One or two individual questioned the validity of our knowing eachother enough while others said she was just telling me what I want to hear.

Both of those claims I reject.
With the first, we've known eachother a year and a half and for the last 12 months we've been speaking on the phone everyday. Ive been lucky in my life to have had a few intimate relationships with women and this one far exceeds any personal reationship Ive had in the past.

Second, the idea that she is just telling me what I want to hear is BS. I stayed in a Khmer hotel for a week a year and a half ago. I make a point of getting off the beaten track when I travel and look to avoid other westerners where possible. My girl was finishing highschool at the time and working reception in the evenings(her uncle owns the hotel). I was the first westerner she ever met outside a classroom. We got to know eachother very slowly during that week. To be honest I thought she was only practicing her English. There wasn't even a hint of anything going on. After I returned to Korea we started swapping emails for six months which then turned into phonecalls, again no hint of a relationship or any cheap inuenddo(sic). A year after seeing her the first time I returned to cambodia to stay for a week with her family. The moment I saw her after arrival I knew I wanted to be with her forever and I stuck my neck out and told her as much that first day. For her it was great news as she revealed that she had been fending off suitors since she finished school in the hope that I'd come good with a proposal.

I'm a little unsettled to have revealed so much on this forum but I was a little sick of the cynicism of many of the posters. The girl worships me and I her. There's no doubt in my mind to her credibility. She's not some bar girl who was trawling the PP bars looking for a soft misfit to end her poverty.

It's true that by marrying me a whole world of chances opens up to her and her children which she couldn't have had in Cambodia but what of it, surely every girl wants to have the best future they can possibly have. However, it's ignorant to assume that a SE Asian girl could never genuinely love a western man and is only getting hitched to aid her family. In the end she has to say goodbye to all her loved ones(and they're tightly knit) and never return permanently. So who's making the real sacrifice.

I leave it there. Roll on the winter
ANB
Insubordination

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your update. Have a good wedding! I'm glad you're happy.
Kirkpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say this, But phone calls don't make a relationship. Anything could be going on behind your back. All of us can put on a good front to get what we want. You need daily time together, not a couple weeks a year. It seems like you are rushing it. I wouldn't marry a gal unless I saw her every day for at least 6 months. Reminda me of a teacher that married a gal after 3 months of dating. Basically, She was his first and only piece of ass. Turned out she wasa lady of the night. If your gal worked at a hotel part-time, you can only guess what that means...
anbrainblasta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkpatrick: having a go at my fiancee, by insinuating that she's a prostitute, is really bad form.

one of the great benefits of a forum like this is that it allows cowards to take cheap shots.

if you had read my post, you'll see her father owns the hotel and she was working reception after school.

the overwhelming majority of cambodian families are extremely guarded of their daughters and i can assure you my fiancee falls into that category.
deessell2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you said she worked for her "uncle".

You seem to lack even a basic understanding of how things work in rural Cambodia, many children, and your girlfriend is a child, are sold by their parents into prostitution.

You need to spend more time in the country, so that you are able to understand the culture that your fiancee is from and to fully understand the expectations that the family will have regarding your level of financial support.

In addition, the emotional maturity of the average sixteen year old Cambodian girl is much lower than a western girl of the same age. Alarm bells are ringing!

Good luck with whatever happens.
anbrainblasta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shes lived with her uncle for 10 years and lovingly calls him father.

she's 21 not 16

all prozzie jibes are just attempts to wind me up
Kirkpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, '' Uncle'' is what Chinese girls lovingly call their older Johns.
Opiate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisTeacher wrote:
Why not spend your $10,000 feeding beggars while volunteering to clear land mines in recompense for the English speaking armies, military and fiscal, who destroyed your "gorgeous Cambodian girl's" civilization?

Better than purchasing her on $50 per month lay away, no?

LOL
anbrainblasta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisTeacher wrote:
Why not spend your $10,000 feeding beggars while volunteering to clear land mines in recompense for the English speaking armies, military and fiscal, who destroyed your "gorgeous Cambodian girl's" civilization?

Better than purchasing her on $50 per month lay away, no?

LOL

damn that is funny, then again,

'T� m� � th�r go bhfuil a fhios go l�ir faoi airm ag labhairt B�arla'

'slan leat a chara'
dean_a_jones

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am from a country that knows all about weapons of speaking English

Dear Goodbye

Thank god for google translate, or I'd have no idea what was going on!
Kirkpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now she is a Madam!!! How did she work herself into such a position???? Good luck my friend. Bail on that shit!!!!
anbrainblasta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am from a country that knows all about weapons of speaking English

Dear Goodbye

Thank god for google translate, or I'd have no idea what was going on
!

proof that belief in god or google translate always ends miserably.

hey kirkpatrick, any chance you'll make the wedding in cambo next winter?
adogadie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how much it would cost for a blond blue eyed Russian girl? I would love to go with that; but there are risks that come with that also. I guess it would be better to go to Moscow and avoid the skin heads and look for a lovely little fair skinned doll. And good luck to the OP. Smile
Kirkpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there around TET...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: