Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaving one job before finding another in Kanto/Tokyo?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
As Das Fads

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Leaving one job before finding another in Kanto/Tokyo? Reply with quote

[insert "ALT company with a bad reputation for paying late" here] have jerked me around for the last time and I would desperately like to find another job. However, I am worried that I won't be able to find another job quickly. I have around a year's experience in Japan, plus a Masters (not ESL but technology), University teaching experience and a substantial business background. I don't really want to work the eikawa grind but will if I have to (temporarily). I am working on my Japanese everyday but currently I am probably Level 3, if that.

I also live about 90 minutes west of Tokyo, but would like to move into Tokyo soon. Is it better to move to Tokyo first then look for a job, or to find a job first then move? If I don't have a job then is it impossible to rent a place in Tokyo (no guarantor)? My partner will be moving with me so a gaijin house is not my preferred choice of residence.

I feel I am in a bit of a pickle with no choice but to stay with this horrendous company. Advice/warnings/stiff rap over the knuckles all appreciated.
Sherri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the best times to be looking for an EFL job in Japan! Many schools are looking for new teachers for the April term. Even conversation schools have an upsurge in business around now--Japanese think of spring as a time to start new things.

Do you have a valid work visa? If so I think you are in a pretty good position to start job hunting. Start making your applications now and going to interviews. I don't think that you should think about moving until you have found a new job, having a guarantor is one issue but another is that you should wait and see where you will be working in the future. A 90-minute commute isn't so bad by Tokyo standards anyway. You have more choices open to you now (assuming your work visa is valid), you can take a series of part time jobs or a fulltime job. Before you leave Interac, make sure you get a letter of release, you will need this the next time you go to renew your visa (and change sponsors). Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: