Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The weather in Puerto Montt.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: The weather in Puerto Montt. Reply with quote

It has rained a lot since I arrived here. It's raining today, will probably rain again tomorrow and will rain even more when winter arrives.
Waterproof clothing is a must.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least it's not snow. It snowed here in China and it's april.
How is the job search going?
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Puerto Montt Reply with quote

I'm leaving next week because I can't take any more of this gloomy weather. It's driving me crazy!
For anyone made of sterner stuff, there's a lot of demand here for EFL teachers.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where will you be going next?
jamien

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a bit of time in p. montt and really got to like the the atmosphere of the city- although, it wasn't during the rainy season. Really did like the area though.
Just curious as to what and where these EFL positions you mentioned were being offered, in general. how much do you think the salary is they offer?
Thanks, Jamien
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: EFL in Puerto Montt Reply with quote

Naturegirl, I'm going home to ponder my next move. There are lots of vacancies for summer camp work, and I've got quite a bit of experience in that field (that might explain why I'm losing my hair!).
Jamien, there are a few English language schools here, but I don't know what wages they pay. There are also some universities where vacancies for English teachers arise from time to time. The Universidad de Santo Tomas will be recruiting another teacher in August.
I taught private students who were friends and colleagues of my Chilean friends, so I didn't have to look for work. For those without contacts, it would be worthwhile simply going around local schools and companies with a handful of CVs.
Yes, Puerto Montt and the surrounding area is really beautiful. My friends took me to Lake Llanquihue and later to the island of Chiloe. My trip was much shorter than expected, but I've enjoyed it.
Gringo Greg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Any specifics? Reply with quote

Do you have any email addresses, telephone or fax numbers that you could share either with the board or via pm? The info on Chile seems rather sparse, just try googling it. I have thought about Southern Chile in the past.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Any specifics? Reply with quote

Gringo Greg wrote:
Do you have any email addresses, telephone or fax numbers that you could share either with the board or via pm? The info on Chile seems rather sparse, just try googling it. I have thought about Southern Chile in the past.

I'd be interested too. I haven't found many jobs in Latin America via the internet. though there are a few on TEFL.com. Hopefully after Easter there will be more.
lagger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Chile a few times. The first was when I was 18 or so. I did my final year of high school there as an exchange student.

I know an American woman who lived there for years (she recently moved back to USA). She worked as a high school mathematics teacher during the day and an English teacher at night to make ends meet. Because she was an American, she had a job at the Instituto Chileno-NorteAmericano.

I've hung out in Puerto Montt/P Varas/Chiloe a bit. Something about that area really appeals to me too.

I wonder if one could make enough to live on? I doubt it. I can barely make enough in Australia!

Still, I feel Chile is calling me back.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lagger wrote:
I've been to Chile a few times. The first was when I was 18 or so. I did my final year of high school there as an exchange student.

Still, I feel Chile is calling me back.

Wish I could have studied abroad as a high school student.
grahamb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Finding work in Chile. Reply with quote

As I said on an earlier posting, the students I taught in Puerto Montt were friends and colleagues of my friends.
I suggest you consult the Chilean yellow pages (amarillas.cl). Choose the city/region you're interested in and type "Escuelas de idiomas" under "Actividad/Producto." There are more than 90 entries for the whole country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: