Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is your SALARY TAXED at 18, 6 or 5%?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pretentious Parrot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamahuh wrote:
aslans_captain wrote:

yamahuh wrote:

Whenever I am ready to return to teaching I negotiate a contract with a new school and simply mention the fact that I would prefer not to pay the full 18% tax. I ask if 'anything can be done about it?'. Usually - surprise, surprise - there can...

My attitude is; if you don't ask you don't get and if a simple question makes my paycheque fatter then I'm definitely not averse to asking.

Forgive me for resurrecting old thread, but how do you get away with that?

Taiwan gov must be a lot looser than U.S. gov.

I don't get away with anything - the school accountant does the books and makes the tax declaration to the Govt. All I do is ask a simple question and they they write out a statement of income that declares I am working less hours than I am actually working for less money than I am actually making...My tax rate is based on that #

This could come back to you in the future and bite you in the ass, you know?
yamahuh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please explain how.

I pay taxes at the rate the Government demands, based on the paperwork my school has submitted. I submit my taxes every year and complete all of the required paperwork. It's never been an issue. If it could bite anyone in the ass surely it would be the employer for under-declaring my earnings?

However, I'm no expert - just my opinion.
aslans_captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamahuh wrote:
Please explain how.

I pay taxes at the rate the Government demands, based on the paperwork my school has submitted. I submit my taxes every year and complete all of the required paperwork. It's never been an issue. If it could bite anyone in the ass surely it would be the employer for under-declaring my earnings?

However, I'm no expert - just my opinion.

I think Pretentious means that if you want to apply for a PARC you have to show you have earned a minimum income for so long...

But it's not a big deal. I think the minimum income level only has to be earned over a one year period or less. And who cares about getting a PARC anyway? I don't think it will enable you to legally do anything more than teaching english.

Don't quote me on any of this. My memory is a little fuzzy. Very Happy
yamahuh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if that's what he's referring to it certainly doesn't apply to me. I have no intention of applying for a PARC.
dangerousapple

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with yamahuh on this one. If you are married, a JFRV is so much better than permanent residency...assuming your marriage is solid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: