Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MEd in HK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueOlle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: MEd in HK Reply with quote

Hi... It would be nice to get some information/advice from you guys... Thanks!

I've got my BA in Music and English, as well as a TESOL Cert from Canada. I'll be moving to HK in April. I'm planning to find a job there and in the meanwhile, save some cashola to go back to school to become a more qualified teacher. I have 4 years of teaching experience (2 years in Canada and another 2 years abroad). I've looked through the programs in HKU and CityU, but I'm rather confused about the programs and offers.

In your opinion, which program would be more useful in HK: A) a BEd B) PGCE C) MEd to get a better teaching post in HK?

And another question, with my background, if I'm not planning to teach in the PNET/SNET programmes of the EMB, would my current education/experiences be sufficient to find a good teaching job in HK?

Once again, I know its a longwinded question... so THANK YOU! Any info/advice would do! Wink
Ger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bristol University offers an M.Ed Management at City University's SCOPE for a cost of $90,000 for a two-year part-time programme. The degree won't qualify you to teach under EMB rules. However, it is a qualification and Bristol University's School of Education has a standard of excellent up there with Cambridge and Oxford.

Lancaster university offers an MA TESOL at Chinese University, the cost is $88,000 for two years part-time. It won't qualify you to teach under EMB rules since there is no teaching practicum.

If you are confused about the websites (and I agree they are unclear) send emails for clarification.

YOu need a Postgraduate Diploma in Education, HK Institute of Education is running a part-time TWO YEAR primary education programme, the deadline has elapsed but you could email admissions and ask if there are still places. The cost is $42,000.

Last edited by Ger on Sun May 09, 2004 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlueOlle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ger,

Thank you so kindly for your reply. The information is very helpful. I will go look up the programs you have listed. Wink

Just another question tho, if I just wanna teach at a Language school rather than a EMB school, with what I've got now, would it be sufficient to find a decent job with a decent salary???

If getting a MEd or MA TESOL doesn't mean that I'll get a job with a EMB School (which would mean higher salary/more benefits, right?), I should just go for a Ed Dip then, you think?

Argh... so much to consider about... I know I wanna get back into school to better myself... but which would be better!?! Crying or Very sad

Anyway... Thank you again for your reply!
Ger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this thread and the other thread listed inside it first.

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=8682

You should decide whether you want a employment visa or a student visa. With an employment visa you can do part-time studies in HK (but you have to make sure that the face-to-face university lectures/seminars are outside of your work hours). Immigration takes about 6 weeks to consider issuing employment visas.

With a study visa you cannot work legally in HK (I think) - check this point with immigration.

HK is an expensive place in which to live, so make sure you have a lot of money to set yourself up here and it would be best of all if you had a reliable contact (native HK person) to help you because there is a language and cultural barrier that you will have to get through in the initial (it took me 4 years and initially I had to spend 3 years of that time on the mainland of China, with frequent visits to HK, because I hated HK life so much but the money and opportunities are in HK).

for jobs at language schools check out www.scmp.com (classified, education).
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B.Ed if you have time - with an NQT year to seal it.

PGCE in English if you don't have time.

CELTA helps, a lot.

The more you can get, the better your chances in not only the NET scheme but in international schools too.

What did you opt for in the end?
TeacherTim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP posted ten years ago. I think they're long gone.

I have always taken advantage of the tax perks to study while in HK. Since being here I've added a couple of MAs and a Diploma (TESOL). It's worth it and there's no way I could afford it anywhere else in Asia.
Perilla

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeacherTim wrote:
The OP posted ten years ago. I think they're long gone.

I have always taken advantage of the tax perks to study while in HK. Since being here I've added a couple of MAs and a Diploma (TESOL). It's worth it and there's no way I could afford it anywhere else in Asia.

Er, I don't think the tax perks make THAT much difference!
TeacherTim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I don't know. Seventeen percent in a tax rebate is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Smile I've saved thousands this way.
Perilla

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeacherTim wrote:
Oh, I don't know. Seventeen percent in a tax rebate is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Smile I've saved thousands this way.

I agree it's a saving, but not sufficiently huge to encourage me to do another MA. Let's say your course fees are HK50,000 a year, that will knock about 8,000 off your tax bill. OK fair enough, but HK is generally so expensive that that isn't a sum of money I get excited about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: