Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-EU citizen married to an EU citizen

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimJam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Non-EU citizen married to an EU citizen Reply with quote

I'm considering a move to France for work but I wonder what my wife's status would be. I'm British so therefore I can work but my wife is from the US. Could she work there? If so, does anyone know the procedure?

A lot of the adverts ask for EU citizenship or valid work papers. What exactly are these work papers?
wiganer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Non-EU citizen married to an EU citizen Reply with quote

JimJam wrote:
I'm considering a move to France for work but I wonder what my wife's status would be. I'm British so therefore I can work but my wife is from the US. Could she work there? If so, does anyone know the procedure?

A lot of the adverts ask for EU citizenship or valid work papers. What exactly are these work papers?

EU law states that you can take your American wife to France and for her to be able to apply for permanent residency within 6 months of arriving where she is then free to work.

The only country where EU law is not applicable is your home country, which is the UK.

You shouldn't have a problem - good luck.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spouse of an EU national has the same rights as a national of any other EU country. Including right of residence and right to work.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Spouse of an EU national has the same rights as a national of any other EU country. Including right of residence and right to work.

Caveat: so long as he/she is in the same country with EU national spouse.

For example, so long as my Czech spouse is living/working in Canada, I CAN live/work in the Czech Rep automatically - but not in France or Spain or any other EU member country.

If/when said spouse works in France or Spain, etc. - so can I.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: