Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laos vs. China?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, filippofuzhou, you should consider Thailand.

There are a lot of teaching jobs available in Thailand. The term just started but there are probably still many vacancies.

The conditions aren't great, but the ladies are beautiful, the food is awesome and the islands, especially Phuket, are good for getting away.

Just be aware that a parliamentary election is coming up in about 2 weeks.
ScottishGringo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never worked in Laos but I have travelled there, beautiful, wonderful country, friendly & happy people. Love it!
Trebek

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you stay in China, just relocate. Go live in Dali, Inner Mongolia, Guangxi, Kashi, many cool places in China that aren't trying to be so modern.

I must disagree with your implication that Chinese are soul-less. To take a a sweeping generalization about the entire country like that is ridiculous. Thats like saying "All Italians love spaghetti".

You had a great experience or you wouldn't have stayed as long as you have. Just move to a different place with a different culture (in China), and you won't be so bored next year. Indonesia would be another suggestion.
HystericalHoosier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Getting in a rut Reply with quote

Laos is worth a couple years of your life. ESL employment is not easy to come by. Lao-American has no problems hiring non-native speakers. As with anywhere in Asia, using personal connections can always be helpful. Your background might make you better suited for one of the countless NGOs that populate the country. You might also look at Cambodia. But I have found where ever you go you can get into a rut after a year or so-its part of the cycle of life.
piglet44

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't ALL teenagers interested in their mobiles,computer games and shopping? I don't think Chinese students are unique in this,and in fact I find them to be more respectful and friendly than many Western teenagers I have had the misfortune to teach over my 30 years as an EFL teacher.
all-at-sea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trebek wrote:
I suggest you stay in China, just relocate. Go live in Dali, Inner Mongolia, Guangxi, Kashi, many cool places in China that aren't trying to be so modern.

Sage advice. However, you can now strike Kashi from that list, sadly:

[From wikipedia]
"When the plan started, 42% of the city's residents lived in the old town.[53] ... The European Parliament issued a resolution in 2011 calling for "culture-sensitive methods of renovation."[54] The International Scientific Committee on Earthen Architectural Heritage (ISCEAH) has expressed concern over the demolition and reconstruction of historic buildings. ISCEAH has, additionally, urged the implementation of techniques utilized elsewhere in the world to address earthquake vulnerability.[55] In 2011, a spate of violence over two days killed dozens of people. By May 2012 two-thirds of the old city had been demolished, fulfilling "political as well as economic goals."[56]

Sad
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
Regardless of "qualifications" and "native/non-native speaker status", the most important factor for anyone considering teaching in Laos is the size of the market, which is tiny.

Compare:

1 China 1,339,190,000

103 Laos 6,436,000

Fuzhou 6,870,000
Vientiane, capital of Laos 754,000

So, while nothing is impossible, your chances are not that great just because of lack of demand.

Sure, but those are just population statistics and don't really mean much. You certainly can't conclude a 'lack of demand' from them. What does count is the demand for English education in a relative sense and the attraction for English teachers to go there.

Last edited by bluetortilla on Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all-at-sea wrote:
Trebek wrote:

Sage advice. However, you can now strike Kashi from that list, sadly:

[....

Sad

You can also strike off all of Yunnan too except really sleepy places like (won't say the name cuz don't wanna spoil it!) off the list too. Dali? Unless you love hordes of tourists daily and very expensive prices, go for it. Even Hong He is snobby now. I just finished two really CREEPY interviews in Kunming. Kunming is a great place to study Chinese though. Heading to Laos now!
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laos over China ANYDAY....and Yes I speak Lao!!! Shocked
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get a decent job in Vientienne. that is where I would go. Type in China on the international job board Fagidaboudit Rolling Eyes
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having spent the last two and a half years in a vocational college in China I must say it's been great. But this last search (in Yunnan) turned up very, very few good places. Demands are growing, the pool of job seekers is growing, and mill type work is growing along with it.
Those sort of places (Disney English anyone?) might be fun for young newcomers, but not to me. I hope to back in China in a year or two, but I doubt I'll ever do contractual work again. China's visa regulations are too arbitrary, bloated with documentation, and last minute last minute decisions.And even if you get a great job like I did (well, it didn't pay much if that's what you're looking for), you'll always have visa unpredictability hanging over your head.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: