Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laos
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justinelebonne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Laos Reply with quote

HI,

I was set on teaching in Taiwan but after hearing of the pollution and westernization I have changed my mind.

I have a degree, TEFL and teaching experience.

I am now going to Laos and have a few questions.

1-Should I find a job when i get there?
2- Will i be able to find a job easily?
3-Am i going to be bored? /How big is the ex-pat community?
4-Will i be able to make enough to travel to the surrounding countries?
5-Whats the accommodation like?
Thanks for your help Very Happy
friendoken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been living and working in Laos for three years. Finding a job is pretty easy here, but you should be here on the ground hunting. Finding something online is tough. If you like drinking you won't be bored. There are a few really cool bars that are filled with ex-pats and local girls. If you live a normal life you will be able to save some money for sure. Making $1000/month is easy. You can make more for sure if you want to work a second job. Students here are easy to teach, not like in Korea where they can be difficult. The people here are what makes this country special, they are just so nice and friendly. Most of the ex-pats I know are like me, stumbled into Laos and have never left with no plans to ever leave. There are not many countries that can boast that. Believe me, it's the Lao people, they are unique. It's cheap here to live. A nice apt is tops $150/month. Eating is cheap, $2 for a top notch meal. It is surprisingly easy to get along here in English, all the Lao that you will deal with speak english and they are so grateful for the slightest effort if you attempt Lao, even if you hack it apart like me.

Bring your degree to show schools, your TEFL diploma as well. have a transcript or two also. It doesn`t have to be sealed, photocopies are cool. A degree is not a legal requirement to teach here but a school will take one over someone who doesn`t have one. The Vientiane Times
(the daily english newspaper) is currently looking for volunteer editors. I did that for a year, it`s a great way to meet folks.

I have yet to meet one single person who has not been overwhelmed by this country.

Keep in touch eh!
batublue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Friendoken

Have been reading your informative posts and am hoping to get there soon.

How is internet in vientiane? What's the go for a reasonable speed home connection? See tigo and planet online offer options.

Also can you recommend an agent for apartment rental?

Thanks for your help
Justinelebonne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much friendoken.

My flight is booked for the 20th of January. I cant wait.

I have been trying to get hold of the Newspaper but to no avail.

Do you have a contact number/email address?

With thanks
MrMrLuckyKhan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good info here! thx
El Chupacabra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Laos Reply with quote

Justinelebonne wrote:
I was set on teaching in Taiwan but after hearing of the pollution and westernization I have changed my mind.

So you're off to westernize Laos?
mcsensei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Laos Reply with quote

So you're off to westernize Laos?[/quote]

Nice retort!

Go learn 'em some English!
dharma86

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friendoken wrote:
Hello,

I have been living and working in Laos for three years. Finding a job is pretty easy here, but you should be here on the ground hunting. Finding something online is tough. If you like drinking you won't be bored. There are a few really cool bars that are filled with ex-pats and local girls. If you live a normal life you will be able to save some money for sure. Making $1000/month is easy. You can make more for sure if you want to work a second job. Students here are easy to teach, not like in Korea where they can be difficult. The people here are what makes this country special, they are just so nice and friendly. Most of the ex-pats I know are like me, stumbled into Laos and have never left with no plans to ever leave. There are not many countries that can boast that. Believe me, it's the Lao people, they are unique. It's cheap here to live. A nice apt is tops $150/month. Eating is cheap, $2 for a top notch meal. It is surprisingly easy to get along here in English, all the Lao that you will deal with speak english and they are so grateful for the slightest effort if you attempt Lao, even if you hack it apart like me.

Bring your degree to show schools, your TEFL diploma as well. have a transcript or two also. It doesn`t have to be sealed, photocopies are cool. A degree is not a legal requirement to teach here but a school will take one over someone who doesn`t have one. The Vientiane Times
(the daily english newspaper) is currently looking for volunteer editors. I did that for a year, it`s a great way to meet folks.

I have yet to meet one single person who has not been overwhelmed by this country.

Keep in touch eh!

Wow after reading that Laos sounds amazing. (and I thought Thailand was good)

I am set to go to China this year but I will be doing Thailand again for at least 2 months so going to do the whole south-east pininsuala and scope out Laos aswel as the others.

I especially like this bit;
friendoken wrote:
If you like drinking you won't be bored.

haha Very Happy

Is a tefl qualification a legal requirement? I only have a degree. Of course I don't intend to go this year so I can always look into one, if i find i'm liking foreign teaching in China and want to continue.

Actually everything you've described about Laos is what I am looking for. But I do love China. And i'm also into Buddhism so Laos clearly already qualifies for that.
Porlestone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friendoken, you sure about some of those claims? I last went to Vientienne (Laos) three years ago this month, and I recall the big difference between lodging there in comparison to all other countries in the region at the time (Th, Cam, VN, etc). I was only able to find one measly little guesthouse that charged $6 a night, while the average lowest prices were $10 a night everywhere else. That place charged less because it was the low season and they had streets out front (and around the corners) that were awash in mud (from the rainy season) that also tracked into the building and all the way to the bathrooms. The desk person seemed reluctant to go down to 6 but did so I think because of it. Come to think of it the bathrooms were down at the end of the hall, $6 rooms didn't even have bathrooms inside. I remember that hotels in the area easily were $45, $60 and up for 3 star places. I can't imagine prices have become lower since then, as you described it's "easy" to find a place for $150 "tops" as you put it. The impression I had was that landlords there expect higher prices not in line with the region as a whole.

Also you mentioned Vientienne as not boring, when in fact the capital and most of the country is well-known for being just that. Travel books recommend a max of one night in the capital and quickly heading to LP or V V. I left Laos after 4 days because of it. I see questions popping up after reading what you say. Thank you.
Kirkpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: On my way!!!! Reply with quote

Hello everyone!!! I will finally be in Laos on the 15th ,,Laos time... Friendoken p2p me... Let's get together and have a few beers...I am also bringing over a bunch of teaching books from the States.. See ya all soon...
eclectic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well we certainly have some quite 180 degree opinions here of Laos, now, dont we dear friends?

I havent been there but have certainly been attractred to see it is easier than teaching in korea, tho the $ is about half.

Tell me, is it true if I have photocopies of my transcripts and a diploma, as well as photos of my Masters degree and diploma as well as a letter proving I taught 1 year in Korea, that I can get a job there and really truly make $1,000 US/month? Is it possible to save say $500 US/month?
($150/mo. apartment for me and my wife?!!! Shocked )

Thats all I really want is an easy life.

Last edited by eclectic on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:39 am; edited 2 times in total
DHAPhotography

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody is having some fun at our expense. Laos is not paradise on earth for ESL Teachers. I had a friend who returned this past year and he had nothing but horror stories to tell about the weather, accommodation, and pay being withheld and this at one of the better public schools. As for prices, he said it was more expensive than China and about on par with Thailand, only he didn't make anywhere as much as he did in Bangkok. There's more to this story than meets this thread I'm afraid.
eclectic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDH I miss those dunes, man. Wow. The clean beaches are amazing. Went down from NJ every year for a week from age 7 to 15. Went back 2003. Wish there were jobs there or Id go right back and be a beach bum 4ever. How I miss those clean beaches, empty, beautiful, serene, and the seafood. KDH, Nags Head, Cape H.
DHAPhotography

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, eclectic, I just sent you a pm of a great surfing image from Kitty Hawk. Feel free to keep and use. It's a good one IMHO. Yes, some of the finest beaches in America and the world for that matter. It doesn't get much better, which is why I'm here in the first place. Cheers.
Molson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eclectic wrote:
well we certainly have some quite 180 degree opinions here of Laos, now, dont we dear friends?

I havent been there but have certainly been attractred to see it is easier than teaching the korean brats, tho the $ is about half.

Tell me, is it true if I have photocopies of my transcripts and a diploma, as well as photos of my Masters degree and diploma as well as a letter proving I taught 1 year in Korea, that I can get a job there and really truly make $1,000 US/month? Is it possible to save say $500 US/month?
($150/mo. apartment for me and my wife?!!! Shocked )

Thats all I really want is an easy life. These korean brats are just uncouth, boorish, vulgar urchins.

1 year teaching in Korea makes all Korea students brats? I think you need some perspective. For the most part Korean students are great to teach. You see on this threat two differing opinions of Laos based on each posters experiences. It is too bad you had a bad experience in Korea. I'll be looking to see if you post on here about how crappy your experience was in Laos (or if it was good). As you know, it is random into what kind of teaching placement you get and what type of students you get.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: