Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is it time to ban someone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pop Fly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortigurn wrote:
Wise words from killian, brian, TaoyuanSteve, and of course the irrepresible Pop Fly. Laughing

You can add my name to the list of supporters for a ban. Exclamation

So it's unanimous.
WorkingVaca

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: And... Reply with quote

...and ban Aristotle while you're at it.
matchstick_man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope don't ban 'em. Where else would you get Henny Penny and Bart Simpson together? I've disagreed and also agreed with Jason occassionally. Interestinglybut unsurprisingly most of the names that have called for the ban have been in heated arguments with him. You cannot have an argument or discussion alone.
ScottSommers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Just refuse to respond to any of his posts.
Mozilla

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think WorkingVaca, brian, Scottsommers, and Pop fly should all be banned. Ban matchstick too while you're at it. That way we can all have a nice quiet forum where no one disagrees with everyone and we will have universal harmony and no one will ever be upset.
mjed9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the same goes for you Mozilla - even though I 100% agree with your comments ... perhaps I should ban myself.

This is not a revolution ... its an open discussion forum!
ScottSommers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely you know the difference between disagreement and plain stupidity. I often don't agree with Brian, but he's clearly not stupid. I don't think Aristotle is stupid either, but he clearly doesn't know the difference between being stupid and being clever.

By the way, I was never an advocate of banning him, but I do believe that responding to his posts is generally a waste of one's life. The sooner people stop talking to him, the sooner he'll stop acting like a cardboard cut out of a human being.
Pop Fly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle does not get personal. He's funny in a ludicrous sort of way and does keep this place somewhat interesting. When I see he's posted something, I go straight to it.

As I have been the subject of personal attack on at least 2 occasions, I offer the following thoughts: In one case, I had some respect for the author and knew it was a misunderstanding. We resolved it like adults. In the second, I myself was reduced to name calling by the immature antics of the subject of this thread. This, I believe, is beneath this board and its mandate.

Mei Copa.

I simply am going to ignore him from here on in. Ban Schman. We all know he's an idiot and there are any number of posters who ride his back as to keep any FOB from being seriously mislead.

We all deal with JB's everyday. Know it all hypocrites who can see no one's POV but their own. I don't care about people like this and have minimal contact with them. In fact, only what is neccessary to complete tasks at hand. I don't socialize, commiserate, pontificate or castigate. Apathy. Pure apathy.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottSommers wrote:
Surely you know the difference between disagreement and plain stupidity. I often don't agree with Brian, but he's clearly not stupid. I don't think Aristotle is stupid either, but he clearly doesn't know the difference between being stupid and being clever.

Although Scott doesn't advocate banning, I think this is probably-- in a nutshell-- the best reason to ban JS. JS does far more than merely disagree with other members, he flat out insults them. Ignoring him is probably the most practical answer; but it's hard to do this when he really acts out. Also, should let people like him have the last word on every issue, without response, just because we want to avoid his inappropriate responses? I say no. Most people here "know the difference between disagreement and plain stupidity." What JS routinely posts here is clearly not disagreement. Stupidity ought to be banned.
ScottSommers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have less of a problem with JS than I do with A. JS may have an atrocious sense of manners, but at least he can be interesting.

I just had an experience that helped put this in perspective for me. I belong to a Yahoo group that deals with issues of interest to university teachers in Taiwan. Somehow, A has become a member of this group and has started posting his secret society drivel to our members. I would advocate banning him from our group because it is a private group that's supposed to limit membership to some degree. I don't know if we have a precedent of licking someone out, but it is supposed to be a private group. Dave's a semi-public forum. Particularly with the newer format, it really is open to everyone.

So what if he "gets the last word in". It doesn't bother me. The occasional readers who don't post anything aren't any dumber than we are, so I doubt they're going to be fooled into believing he's just so clever that we can't think of anything to say back to him.

Like I said to the members of our group, let him rant. He's running of people interested in reading his stuff. The more response he gets, the more he gets banned, the more people talk about him, the more he thinks he's having 'an impact' on people.

Just completely ignore him. Don't mention his name again. That's what I do and he's stopped posting anything when I post. Even if he comes back every now and then, I can wait. Just let him get tired of having no response. He'll shut up.
killian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the original entry in this thread mentioned no one name in specific. scott's recommendation to "work around" such an obstacle is worth a try.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do a search you will find thousands of such organizations with extensive mailing list. They also appreciate input from their collegues on Taiwan.

How did that happen, don't you need to have somebody vouch for you to get into your exclusive group?
Which one was that anyway?
Don't be too concerned Scott I don't say too much in private that I don't in public.
Good luck,
A.
Mozilla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ban ScottSommers
wood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a person posting offers nothing of substance, but instead consistently spreads misinformation, constantly heaps abuse on other posters and resorts quickly to personal attacks, then that person should be ignored. Banning isnt' necessary.
brian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a shame to have to suggest that one be banned, and hopefully the person concerned will just step from this board gracefully. If they do not leave voluntarily then there doesn't seem to be much option.

I tried ignoring his posts for a while, but his comments were so far off the mark that I felt I needed to add my two cents. Setting the record straight seems to be imperative under these situations, but I think avoiding referring to the individual and failing to quote them can be a good way of giving them the cold shoulder.

Anyway, he's been very quiet of late. Maybe he has realized that none of the regular users care much for his being here, and has decided to leave the board. Or has he already been banned? How do we know if he's been banned? Does someone tell us, or do we just deduce this from his absence?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: