Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Average Pay for Canadian with little Experience

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsferrari

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Average Pay for Canadian with little Experience Reply with quote

Hello!

If you've read my other post, you'll know that I'm new to being and ESL teacher here in Italy. As I'm starting to get job offers, I'd like to know what (in your experience) are some good starting wages per hour. So far, I've been offered 15 Euros per hour, before taxes. I must say that I've just graduated university, have my TEFL and some (but not much) experience teaching (private lessons).
Does this sound reasonable?
My employer told me that if need be, in a few months time (and there is a part in the contract that also states this) she would be willing to increase my wage.
Still, I would like to know what any of you may think, becuase like I said, I'm very new to all this.

Thank you!
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsferrari, are you married to an Italian, or do you also hold an Italian passport? In what way are you going to work legally?
mrsferrari

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have a work permit for this teaching position. Does being a citizen entitle me to more money than just a work visa?
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Not more money. Just a chance at legal work.

How is this employer getting you a work permit?
mrsferrari

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My employer is going to the local questura to get all the paperwork done. I think that I will have to take a trip to the Canadian Consulate in Switerland to apply and receive my work visa... I'm finding soon. However, for now, I'm just curious about what I should expect as for pay per hour?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like an average hourly rate for a new teacher there, but I do not know from any direct experience. From what my friends and contacts have told me, Italy is not a great payer at all. Bare subsistence levels. I'd be curious to see how much tax gets lopped off too.

All predicated on getting a work permit - which would surprise me hugely. In any case best of luck to you.
mrsferrari

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your comments. As for now, I'm still waiting on the visa.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would very much like to hear if you get one (and if so, how).
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a visa, congrats. I know that some countries have agreements with the Min of Education, like France and Spain. Does Italy as well?
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot depends on where the work is, and how complex it is. The further south in Italy, the lower in wages (probably) while for ESP or business English you should get more than if you're teaching YL.

What sort of timescale have you got? Most schools / institutions are now closed for the summer holidays.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few points:

1. In answer to OP's primary question, 15 Euros per hour seems to be just about average for entry-level work, at least in northern Italy, where I spent most of my time. I saw offers as low as 9 and 10 Euros per hour in Rome. Don't know about the rest of the country.

2. What you have described is only the first part of the visa process. The usual process (non-EU): your employer obtains an initial work authorization from the provincial labor office. This is submitted to the questura for a seal that is basically a temporary permission for you to enter the country. It (nulla osta) and umpteen other pieces of paper (that I don't recall at the moment except for proof of housing) must be submitted to the consulate in your home country along with your visa application.

3. I returned from Italy several weeks ago. While there, I heard more than one bureaucratic horror story of the above process taking 9 or more months. Further, the consensus of opinion was that work visas could not be obtained by citizens of non-EU countries unless they were gloriously well-qualified. So I am waiting with great interest to hear how (if) you are able to secure the evasive work visa! (And whether you will be able to complete the process from Switzerland.) Please provide us with details!

4. You mentioned citizenship--are you eligible for citizenship? That would be another story altogether.

5. Good luck with it!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3. I returned from Italy several weeks ago. While there, I heard more than one bureaucratic horror story of the above process taking 9 or more months.

Thanks for this "update". It's impossible to know how long the process generally takes, so anecdotal evidence like this is useful as a general guideline.

I think it's also true to say that while you're waiting for your visa, you can't undertake paid work. You have to wait for the visa... And if we're talking 9 months, this means you may well miss out on the whole of the academic year.
acmurray

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 euros an hour for a teacher starting out is pretty good. I started out at �11 an hour at my first job, and then at �14 or so for my longer-lasting job, both in Bologna. You're never going to hit pay dirt teaching English in Italy unless you've got a slew of really reliable private students and/or work like a dog, but �15 an hour (provided they're giving you about 20 hours a week) is a great start!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: