Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moonlighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
Many moons ago I ''acted" in videos which were supposedly designed to teach English in various situations. I cringe now thinking of them. One day when I'm rich and famous I'll be dreading them coming out into the open. It would be the end of a career.(not an acting career. And NO they weren't those type of videos)

I hear you loud and clear, dmb. When I was in Japan, I had to "perform" in trial lessons that involved children as young as 2-3 years old. There was nothing I loved so much as their parents capturing my singing and dancing on tape. Rolling Eyes

Shaman

P.S. Canuck2112: maybe try Circle K. Smile
Capergirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arioch36 wrote:
Quote:
You mean this thread isn't about Bruce Willis and Cybil Sheppard?

Uh oh, now we are revealing our age Razz

My age was never a secret. Wink I used to love that show. I'm sure if I were to watch reruns of it now, I'd wonder why.

dmb wrote:
Many moons ago I ''acted" in videos which were supposedly designed to teach English in various situations. I cringe now thinking of them. One day when I'm rich and famous I'll be dreading them coming out into the open. It would be the end of a career.(not an acting career. And NO they weren't those type of videos)

I was solicited to do this but I refused. The school I was working for (well, one of the many schools I was working for) tried to trick me into it and it caused a lot of unpleasantness. Initially, I was asked if I would read some dialogues "on tape". I asked what kind of tape and the principal said, "Cassette tape", which I took to mean audio. Sure, why not? But when I got down to the room where I was supposed to record this tape, the place was set up like a movie studio! It was freaky...they must have spent a fortune, it was like Hollywood! I didn't like being tricked into doing a video and I am not an actress, so I declined. I called my bosses (I had two) to complain and instead of supporting me, they told me that they were embarrassed by my behaviour. Shocked Then they offered me "overtime pay" (15,000 won) to do the video. Uh, no. Rolling Eyes

After that day, the Korean teachers (all of whom were male) sneaked around with hand-held videocameras trying to videotape me when I wasn't looking. Eventually, I told my bosses that I would not be returning to that school because I was being harrassed.
Lanza-Armonia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

After that day, the Korean teachers (all of whom were male) sneaked around with hand-held videocameras trying to videotape me when I wasn't looking. Eventually, I told my bosses that I would not be returning to that school because I was being harrassed.

I heard one or two things about Koreans doing this to Korean gals and they normally don't care; like the attention!

True or False?
Capergirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanza-Armonia wrote:
Quote:

I heard one or two things about Koreans doing this to Korean gals and they normally don't care; like the attention!

True or False?

I'm not a "Korean gal" so I can't answer that. However, I imagine that a Korean woman would go along with the request to play Hollywood, whereas this 'difficult' Western female would not.
guest of Japan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a once a week English lesson radio show for while. I was also the in house English language utility guy at the station. The pay was amazing. I got about $200 for every hours work.
sidjameson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Japan I have a second job. I lend out my personality. My students sometimes, well maybe once in their lifetime, have an important social event and they need a personality. I rent mine out. Quite a high demand. Pays quite good too. Very Happy
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear sidjameson,
I hope you took out liability insurance.
PatS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quite a high demand. Pays quite good too.

So THAT'S how you were able to save $200,000 in five years! Wish I had a personality like yours!
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear sidjameson,
Hmm, if your personality was out on hire a number of times when you've posted here on Dave's, well, that might explain a lot. Laughing
Regards,
John
misterkodak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if this would be considered moonlighting but I did some "schwarzarbeit" on a few building sites when I was working for Inlingua in Halle, Germany and they laid me off for no real good reason. I also did some translation work on the side. I think I enjoyed redoing houses more than teaching the Inlingua method *barf*
khmerhit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked as a copyeditor on a newspaper. Very interesting. Then they fired me when they brought in a real editor. Life's like that. Arrow
kh
James_T_Kirk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had lunch with a friend today, and she told me that she knew a guy that is teaching English in Japan. He took some kind of online class that ordained him as a Christian Minister, which allows him to marry people. Apparently, getting married by a Christian Minister is the "in" thing to do in Japan, and he is making a ton of money charging people for weddings. Has anyone else heard of this? Sounded kind of strange and bogus to me!
Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No that is true. You don't need anything special to be a "minister" here. I'd use that word rather loosely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: