Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

�Grammar Explanations�
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jbhughes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: �Grammar Explanations� Reply with quote

Often when reading discussions regarding teaching on dave�s, I notice teachers mentioning �grammar explanations� or �explaining grammar to sts� or something similar.

Very early on during my CELTA course, the tutors gave us 3 rather caricatured descriptions of 3 different types of teacher � the Explainer, the Elicitor and the Facilitator (the terms may have escaped me, but it was to that effect), respectively, the Bad, the Ugly and the Good. Il brutto was criticised for having high teacher talking time, being boring and ineffective as well as wasting a lot of good classroom time (when the sts themselves could be talking). Il cattivo wasn�t so much criticised as put in a less favourable light compared to Il buono, whom encouraged sts to discover the meaning, form and pronunciation of grammar in context, before getting them talking. Il buono was at his best when limiting how much he spoke (Blondie wasn�t much of a talker either was he?) and encouraging the sts to do all the talking.

Non-witty references to a damn good film notwithstanding, what I got from my CELTA tutors was that explaining grammar is substandard in favour of a more discovery and student-led approach to grammar.

There have been a good few threads criticising CELTA on dave�s (I note fluffyhamster as a particular non-advocate), so I suggest we steer clear of re-iterating critiques of CELTA techniques and look at the broader question �

When does an ostensibly (seems to be the word at the moment) well-qualified, experienced and student-sensitive teacher explain grammar and how (to adults, please)?

N.B. This is not some kind of academic challenge or guised attack on other�s principles of teaching. I�m not trying to fly the CELTA flag high abreast the great ship discovery-based learning. I�m simply trying to further my understanding of teaching and am interested in what techniques more experienced and better qualified teachers are using.

Perhaps this post should have been posted in the teacher-discussions forum, I�m not sure, only this forum does seem to get more coverage and I note other threads discussing teaching in this forum.

Perhaps teachers use the phrase simply to mean a part of a lesson where sts learn the meaning, form and pronunciation of grammar, this has only just occurred to me � still, I�ll pose the initial question anyway.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very often learners will explicitly ask "What means this?" and point to a structure in a text they don't understand. They expect to be told equally directly what the form means. Anything less leaves them unimpressed, both with the teacher's knowledge and with the answer.

I remember on my entry course PPP was the teaching model that was still in fashion. Lots of good old-fashioned grammar explanation then. Now being caricatured by the very people who championed it? Sounds strange - perhaps I have misunderstood something....
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want answers for adults. Ok, can we assume they've had zero grammar experience before, or is this a review for them? Makes a difference, a big one.

It also matters whether they are being taught ESL vs. EFL, and if it's for a particular vocational purpose or otherwise. Lots of variables here.

You can't elicit what students don't already know. They somehow have to have had something explained to them in order to pull it out of their skulls, unless you are part elicitor and part explainer, perhaps even part facilitator, combined.

Facilitators probably thrive best when students have had some exposure to the grammar already, and when the context of the schooling is crystal clear. Trust me, asking students to "sit down in pairs and discuss X" is hopeless without some background knowledge and motivation and vocabulary.

Explainers can be the students' own L1 teacher (junior high?) or a foreign teacher. Obviously, too much outright explaining detracts from students' talking time. The problem with an explainer who is not the L1 teacher is that they may not realize what they are doing and/or just love the sound of their own voice. Either that, or the lesson structure itself calls for it (basic beginners?).

So, let's define some terms here, and then we can examine the issues more clearly.

Who are your adults?
What is the purpose of their studying?
What is their background in learning English?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sasha:

While PPP was also featured on my CELTA-equivalent cert many moons ago (and, I've recently learned, still plays an important role in much teacher training at the university level in North America Shocked ), it has indeed generally fallen out of favour on entry level courses.

This is a great step forward in terms of fairness for all trainees, IMO.

Consider: if 'your' practice teaching students like 'you,' they patiently sit through 'your' presentation, earnestly practice 'your' target items, and (the key), produce 'your' target items freely at the end, thus impressing your trainers.

If they happen to not like 'you,' they can easily sabotague the production phase, thus engendering critical feedback from 'your' trainers and jeopardising your pass. Regardless of whether they've 'learned' 'your' target items.

Sounds silly, but I have really seen it happen to less-than-popular teacher trainees Very Happy

Best,
spiral

More seriously, on the topic of 'explaining' grammar, and speaking in general terms:

I think that teachers can (and should) usefully point out patterns which students might not notice or understand entirely on their own.

I believe the research shows that, once students have an actual 'need for' a grammatical structure, they are usually ready for a rule or pattern to scaffold their understanding of the item and how it works in communication.

This golden moment is obviously difficult (to impossible) to pinpoint on a student-by-student basis, and therefore what we do in practice is to point out/show/demonstrate/provide practice for any given grammatical rule when it comes up in whatever texts we are using. Not necessarily every time 'it' comes up, of course, but when 'it' is important and there are not too many other things competing for the time and energy.

In my own situation, I try to provide as many different kinds of 'explanation' as possible.

That can be boardwork (I usually ask students to do that bit: my own writing in English being pretty good and theirs needing the practice).

Providing additional examples (usually on paper) and asking students to come up with still more.

Providing texts (can be written or aural) that demonstrate the structure used in different contexts and asking students to discover the patterns.

If you're familiar with the L1 of the students, showing how 'the' English structure may be different from the L1 can be helpful.

So, I may spend a minute or two (literally) explaining a structure: if it needs much more talk than that, they probably aren't ready for it, IMO.
Then, I'll answer any questions they have in the course of any practice I ask them to do. I also try to keep their minds on the structure in the next few lessons, at least, so that whatever they may have 'learned' hopefully remains fresh and active for them until they're used to using the structure accurately.
Jbhughes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your replies.

Sashadroogi wrote:
Very often learners will explicitly ask "What means this?" and point to a structure in a text they don't understand. They expect to be told equally directly what the form means. Anything less leaves them unimpressed, both with the teacher's knowledge and with the answer.

So, we can say a good teacher will explain a grammar point from a text that a learner hasn't encountered before, should they ask the teacher.

Can we call this il migliore's method number 1? Someone who can actually speak Italian is likely to ridicule soon!

Glenski wrote:
Ok, can we assume they've had zero grammar experience before, or is this a review for them? Makes a difference, a big one.

Glenski wrote:
What is their background in learning English?

I can see how the original question was too broad. Let's say that they have been exposed to grammar before, but may have some gaps in knowledge, whether it be pronunciation or usage or forgetting to use in favour of word for word translations of L1.

Let's say they studied English at high school, but this focused heavily on form and rote learning.

Glenski wrote:
It also matters whether they are being taught ESL vs. EFL, and if it's for a particular vocational purpose or otherwise. Lots of variables here.

Glenski wrote:
What is the purpose of their studying?

EFL. Learning general English with the general purpose of improving job prospects in the future.

Glenski wrote:
Who are your adults?

Mostly university age, but studying in a language centre.

Spiral - I won't re-quote all the points you made, but I do appreciate all of them.

spiral78 wrote:
In my own situation, I try to provide as many different kinds of 'explanation' as possible.

This part and the different approaches following it suggest to me that 'explaining' is often used as an all encompassing term for when sts explicitly study a structure in depth, prior to practice, where an explanation is just one potential way of sts studying (presumably discovery-based learning would be another) - is this fair?

Thanks again all.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This part and the different approaches following it suggest to me that 'explaining' is often used as an all encompassing term for when sts explicitly study a structure in depth, prior to practice, where an explanation is just one potential way of sts studying (presumably discovery-based learning would be another) - is this fair

Exactly. Though, it may not always be prior to practice - it happens sometimes that I find in practice the students need further 'explanation,' whatever form that clarification may take. Maybe 'clarification' would be a clearer term overall then 'explanation,' which does imply a spoken elucidation by the teacher. Of course, sometimes it is exactly this, but as you've pointed out, jb, it can also take many other forms.

By the way, I think that discovery learning is one of the best ways, because if a student is able to 'discover' a rule (possibly then confirmed or elaborated upon by a teacher), it's a good signal that the student was, in fact, 'ready' for that particular item.

I've done quite a lot of work with this sort of approach to grammar, and have had very good response from students.

Last edited by spiral78 on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jbhughes wrote:

So, we can say a good teacher will explain a grammar point from a text that a learner hasn't encountered before, should they ask the teacher.

Can we call this il migliore's method number 1? Someone who can actually speak Italian is likely to ridicule soon!

I'd day that no teacher has any real choice but to explicitly explain something that is posed by a student in said situation. For example, I really don't know what 'il migliore' means. Please explain! Very Happy
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an awful caricature! But pretty indicative of the decidedly uninformative, patronizing drivel that is spouted on many a CELTA.

Anyway: language has form and meaning (very closely intertwined). What often makes it (the form at least) hard to grasp and use is the complexity of the meaning(s) it can encode, which is where explanation can come in - the theory, if you like. (On the other hand, there are many quite clearly observable facts that can be quite easily brought to the students' attention - spellings, pronunciations, collocates, ratios of usage, etc).

Now, a theory may be inadequate (and few theories about/in language are ever that adequately expressed), but if it motivates certainly the teacher to search for confirmatory and/or better evidence then it is doing a large part of its job. (So theory isn't necessarily always needed, provided teachers are operating as if there were theory driving them organizationally at least some of the time). Another important part of theorizing is that it can help produce terminology that is actually pretty useful - for example, Michael Lewis' championing of (Joos'?) "remoteness". (This gets a look-in at DELTA level it would seem, but there is no reason why it shouldn't be brought "down" to CELTA level - the language that has to be taught is the same regardless! (And it is the CELTA- rather than DELTA-qualified who is probably going to be continuing doing the most classroom teaching)).

Take away the theorizing and/or empiricism completely however (by labelling it not only unnecessary but absolutely bad), whilst extolling/insisting on the adequacy of "approved" materials and methods, and you have a textbook definition of 'dumbing down', or certainly a situation that is making it harder for teachers to excel (due to the lack of tools needed to do the job adequately). I cannot understand why there is no longer much of a premium on knowledge (the focus may have "quite rightly" shifted to application, but what is there then to apply? The balance needs to be looked at and righted, IMHO). And no amount of stressing the I in ITT will ever quite excuse the time wasted and the very low bar set on these cert courses (if only they would jettison a lot of the discovery-based or gently-does-it stuff in the ITT itself and just cut to the chase with e.g. maximally-informative and sophisticated lectures. Of course, it is good to get an idea of how to [not] explain something like one might to a foreign learner, but this necessarily limits what can be conveyed, and is a perverse approach to take when trainer and trainees share the same language).

@Spiral: I think the unfairness usually comes from the TRAINERS/observers, not the TP students. The method used is actually quite incidental to their constant need to reaffirm their position, and the consant criticism (trainee after trainee, course after course after course) would, one would've thought, rather beg questions about the inadequacy of the training and trainers rather than the trainees!

Last edited by fluffyhamster on Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@Spiral: I think the unfairness usually comes from the TRAINERS/observers, not the TP students. The method used is actually quite incidental to their constant need to reaffirm their position, and the consant criticism (trainee after trainee, course after course after course) would one have thought rather beg questions about the inadequacy of the training rather than the trainees!

Oh, I've known evil and unfair trainers. Usually, thankfully, they are only one on a team, and the rest of the team keeps them in some kind of check. I've worked successfully with a few such evil trainers by making them teach demonstration lessons which are watched by another trainer and all of the trainees. This generally keeps their behaviour within civilised boundaries during their later feedback to trainees.

The cases I'm citing were really definitely educated practice teaching students, who seriously took a dislike to some specific trainee (sometimes with good reason) and who therefore consciously sabatoged their lessons. I had a couple of chats with students doing this, and was then able to moderate feedback to the (unlucky) trainees accordingly, and to change the groups so that they had a cleaner shot at 'production.'

That was, of course, back in the Olde Days when PPP was still the centrepiece of basic training courses. Personally, I'm glad most courses have moved beyond this.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought TP students were meant to be genuine foreign learners, not fellow trainees. (That is, fellow trainees should at most be quietly observing from the back of the class, not sabotaging from the front row LOL). Either way, the trainers should've been onto this, and insisted that the fellow trainees be very obedient slaves (like in all "good" ELT, esp. for demonstration purposes) and save whatever sass for after the lesson itself, i.e. for the feedback session.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've noticed is that methodologies tend to have a "flavor of the year" among "the experts" (and sometimes, flavors go in and out of fashion.)

Another is that many "experts" tend towards "polarization," that is, claiming "this methodology is the ONLY right one."

I think that's ridiculous. I've always used an eclectic approach, one determined by the specifics of the class and the learners in it.

As soon as I hear anyone claim anything like this, "the Explainer, the Elicitor and the Facilitator (the terms may have escaped me, but it was to that effect), respectively, the Bad, the Ugly and the Good."

My BS detector activates.

Regards,
John
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, I forgot to mention when I explain things. Mostly it's here on Dave's, where some pretty half-baked if not strange questions can get asked; then, a lot of problems seem to have been *induced* by skewy (esp. prescriptively-biased) input, leaving the genuine teacher with a lot of explaining to do regarding any "wrong" but perfectly acceptable usage.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
One thing I've noticed is that methodologies tend to have a "flavor of the year" among "the experts" (and sometimes, flavors go in and out of fashion.)

Another is that many "experts" tend towards "polarization," that is, claiming "this methodology is the ONLY right one."

I think that's ridiculous. I've always used an eclectic approach, one determined by the specifics of the class and the learners in it.

As soon as I hear anyone claim anything like this, "the Explainer, the Elicitor and the Facilitator (the terms may have escaped me, but it was to that effect), respectively, the Bad, the Ugly and the Good."

Regards,
John

John, that's exactly how I've felt about our field for many years! Thanks for expressing your/my feelings so succinctly and directly. As the years have gone on, and new methodologies and the theories behind them have changed with the seasons, my BS detector has been getting quite a work out. Rolling Eyes
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought TP students were meant to be genuine foreign learners, not fellow trainees.

They were genuine foreign learners.

'Educated practice teaching students' = genuine foreign students who have worked with a training centre for some time, and have a clue what's going on.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John, and Isla Guapa:

Quote:

Regards,
John

Absolutely true. I think part of the distinction is that, on basic newbie training courses such as CELTA, course providers have a limited time to attempt to give the trainees a sort of very basic 'kit' that can get them started. It's very easy (and I think Fluffy will agree here as well) to dissiminate a sort of over-simplified dogma about 'what works.' Trainees often are really presented with a prescriptive view of EFL/ESL, and sometimes they also over-simplify things on their own: the narrow view is the part of the training they were able to take in and start applying.

Ideally, those of us who stay in the profession get more experience and additional qualifications, giving us a far better basis for expanding our ideas about what kinds of things can go on usefully in a classroom.

I totally agree with the idea of a mixture of approaches, but I think this is something that teachers evolve into over time.

We very often get newbies here, with basic quals and relatively short-term experience in just one or two settings. Of course, it's more difficult for them to understand and embrace a range of different kinds of methods and approaches. If they stick around, they're likely to get there - meanwhile, it's rather fun and hopefully occasionally helpful for the 'oldbies' among us to hold forth on different kinds of things we can do in classrooms that all work:-)

best,
spiral
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: