Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want to teach in China or South Korea...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: I want to teach in China or South Korea... Reply with quote

Hello, my name is James. I have a B.A. (History of Math&Science/Philosophy) and M.A. (Eastern Classics) from St. John's College and a Computer Programming Certificate. The only teaching experience I have is Private Guitar Instruction and College Level tutoring. I am enrolled in the Oxford Seminars TESL/TEFL Certification program. I was wondering what I should look for in schools and jobs and what recruiting programs are reliable. I am also hesitant to pay Oxford Seminars $1200 dollars for a 3 weekend course that apparently lacks in-class teaching experience. Any advice from veteran English language teachers would be greatly appreciated. More to the point, what should a guy with my background look for? I apologize if there is a similar post in the forum. Thank you.
jnick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, why do recruiting websites want me to get a criminal background check? An employee usually gets one correct?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxford is charging very little less than a proper course (CELTA or equivalent) that includes the real teaching practice. Skip it. Also, you will get more, and better, responses if you post in the country-specific boards below.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: I want to teach in China or South Korea... Reply with quote

How old are you James?

The general guidelines for legal employment in China include a BA / BSc, two years work experience and a passport for one of a number of English speaking countries. If entered an MA program after your undergrad degree and havent any work experience you may have a problem. Note, 'may', as laws in China are not absolute and can be interpreted in all kinds of different ways.

A TEFL-type cert isnt a standard requirement in China normally ... Have you paid for your Oxford Seminars program already? If you have, dont pay any more ... if you havent dont pay anything yet. They are generally regarded as a sub-par course provider and should probably be avoided. Generally their programs dont meet the recognised minimum standards of observed teaching practice with real students, and employers who recognise an Oxford Seminars certificate are probably equally as likely to recognise something bought from ebay. If you have paid ... and cant get out of it ... well, just suck it up and see if you can learn something. The reality is a simple TEFL book like 'Learning Teaching' by Scrivener would be as informative and a lot cheaper.

Its hard to say what you should look for in China (the only place I am qualified to discuss / and that forum rules allow). The place is vast and the range of jobs is too.

Some general options might include:
kindergarten / primary school / middle school / college and university / adults

Working hours may be from around 10 hours per week to full 40 hour weeks.

Some employers provide housing, some dont. This is important for some people.

Climate can also be an issue. The north of China can be minus 20 in the winter. Some people just dont want that.

Location. Do you want to be in one of the famous huge cities like Beijing / Shanghai etc? Are you really looking for something in a smaller city that may offer some of the benefits like an expat community without so much hustle and bustle? Or perhaps a really rural location appeals if you are a real culture vulture and want to experience the 'real' China?

There are so many variables that you need to narrow down your choices a bit first really.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a Celta or Trinity. Forget Oxford Seminars. Agree with what Spiral says.

Come to Russia, perhpas. Do a Celta here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: