Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

making a "visa run" to nearby country to extend st

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nycguy2011

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: making a "visa run" to nearby country to extend st Reply with quote

Hi, this is my first post so please go easy on me. I've done some research here and on other sites but haven't been able to confirm what I was told by the director of the school where I went for TESOL training.

He said that after 6 months in Brazil with a tourist visa, I could make a "visa run" to a nearby country (Paraguay, Argentina), stay there for a few days - week, then go to the Brazilian consolate in that country and extend my visa further. And that I could continue doing this.

Has anyone had experience with this? I would like to teach in Brazil but I don't feel like it would be worth my while unless I can stay for 1 year.

Thank-you very much!

Ned
ShadowCat17

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ned,

Unfortunately, this is not true. Your Brazilian tourist visa is valid for 6 months per year. Before the first 3 months are up, you need to request an extension from the Federal Police to reach 6 months. But once the 6 months are up, you'd have to spend 6 months outside Brazil before re-entering the country.

With that said, I've heard stories of people who have done the "visa run" and managed to get back in; it appears that some border controls (particularly if you enter/leave by bus) are not so strict about enforcing the 6-months-per-year rule. It all depends on how lax - or strict - the particular immigration agent you happen to get is. I, personally, wouldn't want to risk it.

If you want to stay in Brazil, your best bet is to come for 6 months on a tourist visa and then enroll in some course - can be college classes or a Portuguese course at a legit school. You can ask then ask the school to provide you the necessary documentation for you to get a student visa (http://novayork.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/other_types_of_visa.xml#Temporary Visa iV), and you'll have to fly back to NYC to apply, then re-enter Brazil on your student visa. If you want more info, PM me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: