Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Akcent School in Prague
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kacosta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Akcent School in Prague Reply with quote

I'm planning on attending the Akcent school in Prague to get my CELTA certification. Anyone have any experience with this school?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about it directly, but I can say that it's been around a long time (good sign) and gets generally OK feedback here. CELTA is the name brand newbie-level course, and the course in Prague has to meet general standards for the course. It should be fine.
frankthurston

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone TAUGHT at akcent? i'm going to apply there and i'd be curious if anyone's had experience with them, or any other schools in prague for that matter; i've looked around a bit and it's the least sketchy, best paying thing i've come across.
Chris Westergaard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TEFL course at Akcent is good and you should be fine Kacosta. Frankthurston, if you're non EU the most important thing for a school to be able to do is process your work permit and help get you legal. I've had a few graduates work at Akcent and they've been happy there.
not_too_shabby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught at Akcent for a few months and what I can tell you is that it is only worth it if you are non EU, want some stability or want to make a career out of teaching. They provide a lot of training, the resources they have are impressive and they pay your taxes and your rent.
BUT:
- the pay is very low, as far as I remember a newbie is paid around 8000 kc per month plus rent. Not much to live on.
- the workload is quite heavy, around 28 classes a week, sometimes more if you need to substitute

Now its up to you. Good luck!
johncoan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pay IS very low.

I was recently interviewed for a teaching position starting September and they offered 15,500 Kc a month, after tax. That's quite a bit lower than other language schools in Prague - and I've got 18 years' EFL experience.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was making 26,000 monthly as a newbie - back in 1998. Not with Akcent, obviously Shocked
lexharvey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I was offered a job there too and the wage was 11 640 CZK before tax ( approx 9 900 CZK after tax)
I thought as it part of IH that it would be a good first job for the development and training offered but the wage just seemed so low even though the rent is payed and they say prague is cheap but I am not sure its that cheap!?
I am sure it would be a great place to live also but I guess I was drawn to bluer skies.....
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9.000 in hand after taxes is slave wages, even though accomodation is provided. That's seriously just shocking.

Not to imply that one can't live on 9,000 - it is possible to do so, but with a pair of new blue jeans, for example, at 2-3,000, any extra expense apart from basic food and basic entertainment would be tough.

No, lexharvey, Prague isn't super-cheap.
johncoan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prague isn't cheap these days, let alone super-cheap.

What are IH playing at, offering that sort of money? Usually IH are noted for looking after their staff - paying them well, certainly better than average.

I wouldn't work for less than 20000 Kc these days - and even that doesn't afford much more than a modest lifestyle if you're not sharing a flat.
mr tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they work you hard for that money too, plenty of reports to file, early starts around Prague and *beep*-children to teach.
barabbas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johncoan wrote:
Usually IH are noted for looking after their staff - paying them well, certainly better than average.

Not in my experience.
frankthurston

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if 8000 is such a monstrous wage, are any of you aware of good pay in prague? i am non eu so i would need to get a work visa sponsored so, as others have said, Akcent is great in that regard. but am i missing something or are there no other schools that'd pay better than that? my czech is pretty non existent so i have little hope of making much money teaching privately.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid it's just the market these days. It was always mostly true that newbies to the city paid some dues in terms of tough shifts and lower pay, then were usually able to move up a bit on the ladder in year two.

This may not be entirely accurate, but I'd hazard that a newbie starting out today, particularly non-EU, may well need to take what he/she can get to get a foot in the door.
frankthurston

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, thanks for the advice! i guess i'll take the plunge then. your posts are always good natured and well written and a little bit snarky about the better days of ESL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: