Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Timing my job search

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrauc941

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Timing my job search Reply with quote

Hello, I've been following the posts here for a while now and I would first like to say thank you to all the posters. I've gotten a lot of great info here. I am hoping someone might be able to give me some advice now...

I am just now finishing up my undergraduate degree (BFA in graphic design) in New York. However, I have unfortunately come to the conclusion that design really is not a field that I thoroughly enjoy. For the last couple years I have been strongly interested in visiting�if not moving to Turkey�add to that my interest in Language (fluent Italian, intermed. French, novice Turkish) and my desire to work with people...TEFL seemed like a great option. As it stands now, my plan is to do a CELTA program (in June) after graduation and then spend July/August applying from the States. My concern is that this may be a little late. Would it be advisable to apply for jobs and now and note that I will have the CELTA cert in June? Or should I just wait until all is in order? Thanks for your help!
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to work in primary or secondary schools it might be a little late. However, there are always last minute jobs. Private language schools recruit throughout the year. In the larger cities there are loads of them and finding a job wouldn't be difficult.
vre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd advise you to apply now and say that you will have completed your certificate by June. Places are easy to find but as a new teacher be prepared for a modest package. You will still get by on that though. Also, once you have found some places to apply to, ask the forum again for some gen on the place, it is invaluable advice. Last thing - it is a difficult career to be in at first for a lot of people but after a few years it becomes easy, in terms of knowledge of teaching and language etc. One thing that never changes is the discipline problem with many classes, especially in Turkey. iyi şanslar = good luck! Wink
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vre, I've done a fair amount of recruitment in Turkey and whenever I received an application that said 'I will be completing my...... in....' I would always give the same response. Good luck and please don't hesitate to contact us AFTER you finish the course. Offering someone a position on the basis that they might pass and complete is a tad risky for a recruiter
vre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that anyone would take the person immediately. I wouldn't if I were an employer. But, I think it is worth getting CVs off soon to keep on file for when places are recruiting, which could be after that time anyway. So when they are ready to recruit, the name is there and they will understand that by that time the person will have qualified.
FGT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also to be born in mind is the amount of time it takes to complete the work visa formalities which must be done in your place of origin. It's worth having a conditional offer in the bag so that you can start the ball rolling. Good luck with both CELTA and the job search, looking forward to you joining us over here in due course.
mrauc941

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that brings up a good point. Does anyone have a good estimate of how long the paperwork is likely to take?
yaramaz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took exactly 35 days at the Turkish consulate in Canada. This is how long my school said it would take and indeed that is how long it took. With your application you must also submit your degree, TEFL cert, passport, photos, contract, letter from your school showing that they are allowed to hire foreigners... and a few other things but I forget what...

Also, things are changing right now... so I dont know if it is still the same process. Turkey is like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: