Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got my CELTA - now what? Central/Eastern Eu. job advice...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nz_taniwha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Got my CELTA - now what? Central/Eastern Eu. job advice... Reply with quote

Hi all,
Barring some catastrophic event, I'll have completed my CELTA in four days time, and going by my results so far I expect to pass. I've really enjoyed it and learned a heck of a lot, but now comes the fun/tricky part - finding a job.

About Me:
-I've done my CELTA in New Zealand and I'm a New Zealand citizen.
-I have a Bachelor's degree in Media/Communications, and a Diploma in Journalism.
-I have no teaching experience apart from what we've done on the course, which has been teaching students of mixed nationalities.
-My most recent work history is as a radio journalist (2 years) and before that, a newspaper reporter (just over 2 years.)

I want to work in Central or Eastern Europe, mainly because the general area fascinates me, and I realise that as a non-EU, Western Europe is virtually a no-go. I also want to try my luck at securing a job before I leave New Zealand, for my own piece of mind. I hope to start as soon as possible, which likely means September.

Therefore: what's my best plan of attack? I was planning on applying for every job I could find, that interested me and that I was qualified for. (I know that generally speaking, jobs are secured 'on the ground' in this region - part of the reason I want to try to secure a job before I go is that I still can't pick which country I want to go to. A job offer would make my decision for me.)

Also: What should I emphasise on my C.V, given my lack of experience in ELT?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most hiring in the region is done at the end of August to early September - contracts are normally September - June.

I think you are seriously limiiting your chances of getting any job at all by sticking to the hiring from abroad idea - when an employer has teachers standing in his/her office, he/she is unlikely to be considering applications via email. The majority of the applicants here on the ground will also have a CELTA or equivalent, and while some may be newbies like you, others will already have one European contract behind them.
Insubordination

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I doubt you'd be able to find a reputable job via your computer in New Zealand. I would be flexible with that idea.

It's not impossible. I got my job in Spain while I was in Germany, but it was an emergency situation for them, as someone had done a runner and I was willing to start within days. Also, I had the advantage of fluent Spanish, ten years' experience and a British passport. Even then, hiring me on the basis of a telephone interview was a risk for the employer. Put yourself in their shoes.

Are you under 30? If so, you can get a one-year Working Holiday Visa to many EU countries. Do you have a European parent/grandparent from whom you could claim ancestry? If so, look into that.

Good news is that you already have your CELTA, so you will have more days to look for a job in Czech Republic or other countries where you might be able to legally apply for a work permit

Good luck at this exciting time and congratulations in advance on passing the CELTA. May you have some great adventures ahead of you.
nz_taniwha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 26 next month - so yes, the Working Holiday Visa idea could open up more countries. Good point. But sadly I have no European ancestry; I'm 'Kiwi' through-and-through.

Food for thought, thank you both - I think I'll still have a shot at applying on-line, see how far I get and make the most of the experience. But looks like I'll have to 'pick a country' and hit the ground running.

The next question is largely rhetorical, but - how do I decide where to go ?! Confused Smile
Sigma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a work holiday agreement between the Czech Republic and New Zealand, but work has to be 'incidental', with the main reason being travel.

http://www.mzv.cz/sydney/en/visa_consular_information/working_holidays_scheme_for_new_zealand.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: