Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Primary teachers in NZ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dinanz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Primary teachers in NZ Reply with quote

Hello,

I would like to know what are the chances of a new graduate from a NZ Uni to get a teaching position ?
Has anyone studied the Graduate Diploma in Teaching from University of Auckland or Massey Uni or another NZ institution recently and tried to find a job in NZ or overseas?

Any opinion would be appreciated,

thanks
keitepai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Congrats on finishing your degree!

To answer your question for overseas you will have trouble getting a job as a new grad (international schools I presume?). Your degree - is it a 4 year course? I am a little unsure of that.

Most international schools require a 4 year degree and at least 2 years experience plus teacher certification which is the same as NZ Teacher registration.

So my advice is to search the ed. gazette in NZ for jobs and do some relieving teaching to get yourself out there. You may be offered a long term relieving position once schools know you. Visit schools and leave your CV etc and sell yourself well by being prepared to teach any age range you are asked to.

Take all you can get as it is still very much who you know in NZ! Then find a registered teacher to take you through the process of sorting out your registration. Even if your CV shows 2 years of relieving you will still be in a better position to apply for international positions.
Smile
mmcmorrow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression is that the chances are quite good - but you can always ask people in the education department and teachers themselves to hear from the horse's mouth. My information is limited to what I've heard from a few students I see every year who are taking the Dip in Primary Education here at Massey University's Albany campus. One student who I saw a few times last year - an international student with English as a Second Language - set up three or four interviews with different schools in New Zealand during the last semester of his course. He received job offers from all of them, which meant he was able to choose the location, school and position that most suited him. That was a pretty positive indication - but as I said above, you might be best off asking the departments and recent graduates directly to get the bigger picture.

Martin McMorrow, Centre for Teaching and Learning, Massey Uni, NZ
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmcmorrow wrote:
My impression is that the chances are quite good - but you can always ask people in the education department and teachers themselves to hear from the horse's mouth. My information is limited to what I've heard from a few students I see every year who are taking the Dip in Primary Education here at Massey University's Albany campus. One student who I saw a few times last year - an international student with English as a Second Language - set up three or four interviews with different schools in New Zealand during the last semester of his course. He received job offers from all of them, which meant he was able to choose the location, school and position that most suited him. That was a pretty positive indication - but as I said above, you might be best off asking the departments and recent graduates directly to get the bigger picture.

Martin McMorrow, Centre for Teaching and Learning, Massey Uni, NZ

Why not look at this?
http://www.teachnz.govt.nz/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: