Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Santa Marta Area and the Coast?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starasova

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Santa Marta Area and the Coast? Reply with quote

I'm heading down in about a month and change. Traveling for a bit and then looking to settle on the coast, preferably in Santa Marta. Does anyone here have experience working out there? Any institutes you can recommend?
spanglish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever been to Santa Marta? I don't like it at all and can't imagine living there. I think you'll struggle to find decent work there.

Your most realistic option for finding work on the coast, and where it'd be easiest for you to live in terms of finding friends and hanging out with the locals would be Barranquilla. It's a big, ugly, expensive city with some nasty, smelly parts, but it also has some nice neighborhoods and a big enough (and friendly) population that you'd stand a decent chance of eventually finding reasonable employment and a good social circle. Personally I like Barranquilla; it has a good energy.
starasova

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight, do you currently work in Barranquilla?
abnpx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say Barranquilla is smelly, or expensive. What is your ultimate goal? I would recommend Cartagena or Barranquilla however Barranquilla is your best bet. If you need anything please pm me.
abnpx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say Barranquilla is smelly, or expensive. What is your ultimate goal? I would recommend Cartagena or Barranquilla however Barranquilla is your best bet. If you need anything please pm me.
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quilla has the best women and nightlife on the coast bar none.

if that helps! lol
windowlicker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What experience and qualifications do you have? I love the coast, but its definitely one of the harder parts of the country to find legal work. It's also pretty challenging culturally, and an extremely difficult place to live if you're a woman (particularly for foreign looking women). Like spanglish said, your best shot on the coast for finding friends and decent work would be Barranquilla. I think Barranquilla is a nasty city. Not as expensive as Bogota, but salaries are probably a lot lower, making it overall a more expensive place to live.

Definitely avoid Santa Marta. Yuck.
starasova

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the info! I'm in Santa Marta right now looking at some schools. I have a bfa in design and a Celta, as well as experiance.
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stara,

keep us updated and let us know what you find!
windowlicker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it as gross of a city as we made it out to be or did we build it up too much?
alexandracathlin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I am currently contemplating moving to the coastal area of Colombia. So, I am just curious how your job search panned out? Did you find employment, was it difficult? I am currently thinking about moving to Cartagena in late December.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexandracathlin wrote:
Hi! I am currently contemplating moving to the coastal area of Colombia. So, I am just curious how your job search panned out? Did you find employment, was it difficult? I am currently thinking about moving to Cartagena in late December.

I think the lack of response to my previous question should answer this on its own, but let's see if we get an answer.
KatrinaESL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

argh.., windowlicker- why gross? I just had a few interviews with a job in Barranquilla and thinking about relocating there.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got a job at Uni Norte, I'd say go for it. I've got a friend who works there, and it sounds like a decent job. Barranquilla is probably your best bet for making friends on the coast.

I've said everything I have to say about living on the coast in other posts, so I won't go into it here. Besides those things, Barranquilla is just as hot as other cities on the coast, but has less trees and shade, which also means its just sort of an ugly city. And when it rains, it floods.
KatrinaESL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from New Orleans, so intense heat and humidity plus flooding will make me feel right at home! haha! But really, as long as I have a good job that I love, live around friendly people and have a little time to travel, I'll be happy.

I'm going to pm you windowlicker! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: