Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HCT Interview questions??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helenl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The faculty and staff are co-ed at both men's and women's colleges.
heyteacha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrog_420 wrote:
1. It is impossible to say paradigm too much. They love this word. Try to work it into every conversation.

I remember there was a new para-diggim initiative one year. Is that still the case or is HCT back to para-dimes?
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asked and answered...

NCTBA
tanalien

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: interview at htc Reply with quote

secretsquirrel wrote:
Something that recently fell into a colleague's possession was some poor fellow's HCT interview assessment (not good, BTW). It features all the questions that were asked at the interview. So just PM me if you'd like a copy!

I can use "the interview guide". Trying to PM you resulted in, "You must have written a minimum of 5 posts before you can initiate contact with other members by email or private message (PM). Sorry!"
Please help.
tanalien at hotmail
Thank you

Last edited by tanalien on Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to edit your post (use button on upper right of your entry) to mask your email address. They have programs out there that mine boards like this for email addresses. Perhaps say that it is tanlien at hotmail

VS
tanalien

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
You might want to edit your post (use button on upper right of your entry) to mask your email address. They have programs out there that mine boards like this for email addresses. Perhaps say that it is tanlien at hotmail

VS

Thank you for advice
happyroofus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Brilliant! Reply with quote

That was the best post ever!!

Thank you Scrog Very Happy
secretsquirrel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: HCT interview questions Reply with quote

I think I've found them! The ten most commonly-used HCT interview questions, which fell into my hands many moons ago...

What kinds of social inadequates and retards do you like working with?
HCT likes to criticize hard and praise infrequently. How do you feel about that?
Have you ever felt extreme anger at work? How will you cope with that at HCT?
Do you enjoy working with cruel and compassionless people?
This organization is probably very different to your current employer - how do you think you are going to fit in with our repressive management system?
How do you feel about management snooping on you and reading your e-mails?
Give an example of when you have worked with inadequate b*st*rds like us.
What have you failed to achieve to date, and what degree of desperation drives you to us now?
How would you feel if you got sacked because the new boss just doesnt like you?
We encourage staff to grass on each other. Do you think you have the makings of a good stooge for the management?

At least, they do LOOK like HCT questions.

Perhaps other HCT veterans would like to add some of their own!
happyroofus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@secretsquirrel

THANK YOU!!! Very Happy Very Happy

I had a 2 hour interview with them once. One guy at very large table and another on video-link. Half-a-glass of water was offered (though I had travelled considerable distance to get there). Honestly, I've never felt an interview to be such a waste of my own time as that HCT we-think-we-know-what-we're-talking-about-and-do-as-we-tell-you-to-do stage-show.

Looking back on it, I now look at my not getting it as a true blessing in disguise. Wink
ckhl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/i]What kinds of social inadequates and retards do you like working with?
HCT likes to criticize hard and praise infrequently. How do you feel about that?
Have you ever felt extreme anger at work? How will you cope with that at HCT?
Do you enjoy working with cruel and compassionless people?
This organization is probably very different to your current employer - how do you think you are going to fit in with our repressive management system?
How do you feel about management snooping on you and reading your e-mails?
Give an example of when you have worked with inadequate b*st*rds like us.
What have you failed to achieve to date, and what degree of desperation drives you to us now?
How would you feel if you got sacked because the new boss just doesnt like you?
We encourage staff to grass on each other. Do you think you have the makings of a good stooge for the management?

I couldn't have said it better than this....i managed to slip through the system for 12 years, coasting. The bone head idiot I worked for, a bastion of mediocrity, couldn't quite catch me. My student evaluations were too good and he couldn't screw me on classroom observations. I 'performed' to standard. But....it gets ugly eventually. And not too soon. From what i've read recently, getting out after a 12-year stint proved fortuitous indeed. As i said in a recent post, it was a good run financially. I made excuses not to attend the final 'lunch' when they present you with the tacky give-aways. They were left on my desk later. I duly picked them up and tossed them in a nearby dumpster the next day.
aussielecturer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi....resurrecting an old forum but I am planning to move to UAE and looking at universities/colleges to apply for a teaching position. As I am still getting my PhD, a university may not even look at my application regardless of the experience I have (4 years in industry and 3 in academia). I have seen an ad from HCT for a position suited to my experience. What can I expect during the interview procedure and is there any particular way to approach them?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aussielecturer wrote:
I have seen an ad from HCT for a position suited to my experience. What can I expect during the interview procedure and is there any particular way to approach them?

It's nothing special. You apply and if they're interested, they'll contact you. Their recruitment process is on their website.

That said, definitely read through newer discussions about HCT to determine if it's where you really want to work. Your experience may suit the position but HCT may not suit you.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aussielecturer wrote:
Hi....resurrecting an old forum but I am planning to move to UAE and looking at universities/colleges to apply for a teaching position. As I am still getting my PhD, a university may not even look at my application regardless of the experience I have (4 years in industry and 3 in academia). I have seen an ad from HCT for a position suited to my experience. What can I expect during the interview procedure and is there any particular way to approach them?

A PhD in...? Be aware that the UAE no longer accepts any degrees done online or distance.

HCT is in such flux these days that no one knows who or what they are looking for unless it is in a specific subject area outside of EFL. (and that includes HCT itself - since they are in the now annual process of figuring out how many teachers they can dump... or convince to resign because they are sick of being jerked around)

Also, if you apply for jobs from within the country you will most likely get a local contract... salary and no benefits. (depends on employer... not predictable these days) It is always best to be hired before you arrive.

VS
marierose

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: HCT interview questions Reply with quote

secretsquirrel wrote:
I think I've found them! The ten most commonly-used HCT interview questions, which fell into my hands many moons ago...

� What kinds of social inadequates and retards do you like working with?
� HCT likes to criticize hard and praise infrequently. How do you feel about that?
� Have you ever felt extreme anger at work? How will you cope with that at HCT?
� Do you enjoy working with cruel and compassionless people?
� This organization is probably very different to your current employer - how do you think you are going to fit in with our repressive management system?
� How do you feel about management snooping on you and reading your e-mails?
� Give an example of when you have worked with inadequate b*st*rds like us.
� What have you failed to achieve to date, and what degree of desperation drives you to us now?
� How would you feel if you got sacked because the new boss just doesn�t like you?
� We encourage staff to grass on each other. Do you think you have the makings of a good stooge for the management?

At least, they do LOOK like HCT questions.

Perhaps other HCT veterans would like to add some of their own!

Ha! love this! Had heard lots about HCT for the past while. I'm pretty sure their staff who thought they were special have moved into post with the MOE! Lots of ex-HCT staff working in supervisory positions. Don't have a clue what they're doing, but they do know how to bully teachers!
aussielecturer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

It's nothing special. You apply and if they're interested, they'll contact you. Their recruitment process is on their website.

That said, definitely read through newer discussions about HCT to determine if it's where you really want to work. Your experience may suit the position but HCT may not suit you.

Thanks mate....reading through the newer threads. I will apply and see what they have to offer. Some of the stuff that they require during application may be a bit difficult to provide. For example they asked for a weblink with video recording of an actual class that I taught, which I cannot provide as my current university doesn't allow this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: