Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Entering a BEd program in Canada or the US

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Entering a BEd program in Canada or the US Reply with quote

How difficult is it to enter a BEd program in the US or Canada? After completing a BA and MA in TESOL with a few years of overseas EFL college teaching experience, I thought it might be fun to do a BEd. How long might it take? This would allow me to enter the public school teaching profession in the US and Canada.

After graduating with a BEd, is joining the state or provincial teacher's college pretty straight-forward?

Where can I start hunting for a BEd program?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean that you have passports from both countries, and therefore the right to work and live in both? One or the other? Neither?

Because either country will be happy to take your money for university study as a foreign student, but you would most certainly NOT be assurred of gaining the right to live and work there afterwards.

Job markets in most regions (outside of very remote and special-needs areas) are highly competitive. It would be unusual if any 'desirable' school district would jump through the hoops to hire a foreigner when there are millions of well-qualified locals around wanting the jobs.....

I am a MA TESL qualified American teacher who has taught in Canada - but on a spousal visa (spouse works for an international company). I would never have qualified for a work visa on my own merits, even with over a decade of experience and other extras. Just far too many well-qualified Canadian teachers around!
Fa'aitoito

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Entering a BEd program in Canada or the US Reply with quote

IF I am to understand your post correctly, you have already have a 4 year degree?
whats your nationality?

In canada (or at least in BC) as far as i know,

to teach public highschool you need to have a BA: with either a major, a minor or enough credits in a certain area to teach that subject. Otherwise you can either do a 4 year Bed program and teach elementary or do a 12 month program on top of your pre-existing BA and teach elementary.

as for the provincial certification, that seems relativly straight forward once you get you degree and practicum. you may need certain courses though depending on the province.

I am also not convinced the job situation is as dire here as what people have been saying. It depends on your teachable subject but as long as you arent expecting to teach right away in a large city or the Okanagan (the best weather in Canada) there should be jobs, and not even in the Arctic! (assuming you are legal to work here that is)

assuming your degree meets the pre-requisit for the 12 month education program, universities have different entry requirements. I have seen some that require practical experience teaching for instance, whereas other do not. For grades I think its around 70 percent GPA.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak for NYC, but in NYC an MS / MA (only 2 years) is what you need to be permanently certified. Actually, doing an MS/MA in education (k-12) through a teaching fellows program offered in several cities across the USA is a very affordable way to get work as a certified teacher (as the uni programs are heavily subsized - mine in NYC was about $4000 total).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: