Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
breacan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Salary question Reply with quote

Hi,

I am considering a position in Hsinchu at an international school that pays $24,000 USD per year with airfare included (no accommodation), summer months, Christmas/New Year, and Chinese New Year paid. I am just checking whether the salary is decent. Thanks.
JMLaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of answers online about this question!

I believe the norm for a first year teacher with a degree is no less than 60,000NT per month.

I have not yet worked in Taiwan so I am going by my own research.

If I am incorrect blame the internet.
breacan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already researched it, and found several different answers. Many of them do not relate to teaching in an international school, which is the reason I posted the question. Thank you for giving me a starting point.
Rooster_2006

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Salary question Reply with quote

breacan wrote:
Hi,

I am considering a position in Hsinchu at an international school that pays $24,000 USD per year with airfare included (no accommodation), summer months, Christmas/New Year, and Chinese New Year paid. I am just checking whether the salary is decent. Thanks.
They don't use US dollars in Taiwan. When you compare rates of pay, use NTD.

The exchange rate fluctuates all the time, so if you state amounts in US dollars, it will be confusing for everybody. I have seen the exchange rate fluctuate between 29 and 32 over the past couple of years. So what seems like $24,000 now could become $21,750 if the currency drops to 32 NTD to the dollar tomorrow.

Standard pay is about 550 - 600 NTD per hour. Taiwanese cram schools work on a per-hour basis, whereas public/international schools tend to work on a per-month basis, but this is not absolute (I worked part-time at one international school that was hourly, 600 NTD an hour).

By "$24,000 a year," I assume you mean about 60,000 NTD per month (more or less average for an international school). And that's a good salary. Better than what I made. Sounds like a good deal. How many teaching hours do you have? I'd say that for that salary, up to 25 teaching hours a week would be acceptable. Much more than that, and you'd be getting ripped off, though. If you're teaching less than 25 hours a week for that rate of pay, consider yourself lucky/skillful.
learningenglish168

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if that rate includes summers and holidays off paid and airfare I would think that is fair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: