Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering Teaching Overseas - Need Advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luv2travel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote] As I understand it, luv2travel, you're a qualified core English subject teacher and that opens up quite a lot for you, including the possibility of working in state schools in the UK (whether you’d really want to put yourself through such an experience is a different matter). English was, and may still be, a shortage subject there. Special needs teachers were, too - if that's what you mean by "Special Education Part 1".[/quote]

That's true. I have my English (Intermediate qualification) to teach English at the high school level (reading/writing) and Family Studies (Senior qualification), which probably doesn't exist overseas but that's fine. Sometimes I wish I never completed it b/c I'm finding that it was a waste of money. I read about some teachers experience in the UK and based on what I read, I don't think that I want to go there. lol.

I also have Special Ed., which, as you mentioned, is working with students with Special needs. However, based on my experience, there seems to be a lot of behavioural issues, and students who are not motivated and/or don't care to be in school although, I'm speaking from students who are in the junior to senior divisions. That's why I thought about teaching English overseas as a second language to students or adults. I figured that these students might be more motivated and interested in learning thus, having to deal with less behavioural problems. This is why I also asked about the CELTA program, which seems to be the most widely recognized and highly respected program for teaching English (as a second language).

From my understanding, are the state schools the schools to be aware of or stay away from, and are the international schools the 'better' schools to work for? Do international schools pay better?

There is an international job fair in January 2012 that I am considering going to. Has anyone been to these types of fairs?

Someone also suggested 'Search Associates' to me. Does anybody know about this organization?

Thanks.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search Associates is one of many places that helps qualified teachers find jobs. GOing to international school job fairs is another way to get a job. YOu'll have to apply to get in (send an application, fee, documents such as references, and proof that you're a qualified teacher), but if you go to a good one you could way away with a handful of job offers. Best of all, you get to talk to representatives from the school. (Granted they all say their schools are perfect, but still)

State schools vary from place to place. I wouldn't work in one in Peru, but in some places in Asia, the govt actively recruits TEFL teachers, they have good pay, benefits, and enjoy their jobs.

Intl schools in general will pay better, or at least have better benefits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: