Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why aren't foreign teachers already in-country considered...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
killian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: why aren't foreign teachers already in-country considered... Reply with quote

why aren't teachers already in-country considered for the new scheme? who are the primary recruiters? contact numbers? i would really enjoy the challenge of being posted in rural taiwan, along with the fine benefits detailed in yesterday's report. i wrote the MOEover a month ago, but have yet to get a reply. news articles tell of the program, but invariably fail to include contact information?

(yes, i have posted such a question on other forums. tealit deleted it quickly.)

best wishes.
Okami

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised tealit deleted it so quickly. Are you the one that started it on segue/forumosa?

The short answer is that the MOE didn't want to up the demand on foreigners thereby keeping there pay relatively stable. They also know that a new foreigner is easier to take advantage of/mold than an old foreigner. In this case old and new stand for time spent in Taiwan. They are also looking for a special type of foreigner. I'm wondering if it is the Ken and Barbie type?

The long answer is fully known yet. It'll be interesting to see how this gets played out. I have hope, but I can easily see it becoming a fubar situation. I know Taiwanese, their management style, conflict resolution, their strengths and their weaknesses.

The strange thing is they let counties and cities make up additional requirements. Taoyuan only wants north american accents. I imagine a county could only ask for thin blonds with da nai nai's and a butt you could carve cereal bowls out of. I would like to see a list of county requirements for their foreign English teachers.

I don't see the benefits as all that great maybe you should tell me what you read, because all I saw was 55-82K/month and a plane ticket. Considering the situation they are being dropped into, I don't consider this wholly worthwhile compensation. I would want to see some career advancement oppurtunities and some retirement benefits before I thought it was a good deal. I don't believe lodging is included, but with 1 million empty homes in Taiwan. I don't see that as a real problem.

CYA
Okami
Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us that have been in Taiwan for a while, it is quite obvious. A newbie will smile and say ok to the supervisor who tells them they won't be paid for the first month or year. Foreign teachers are a golden goose for all involved. How much money the local administrators can extract is up to the teacher. A newbie doesn't have a chance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: