Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA TESOL and University Positions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kona

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: MA TESOL and University Positions Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone for the posts, it gives me a good idea of whats going on in Chile. I'm currently working on a masters state side right now (not online) and was wondering what opportunities might be available in Chile. It seems to be one of the more saturated markets in LA, especially for the size of the country (17 mil people compared to Mexico's 112 mil), but I was wondering if I could get a decent gig out there with a fresh MA TESOL?

I don't have tons of experience, just one year as an 8th grade school teacher (not certified, tricky how I worked that out), and half a year as an ESL teacher in Mexico. I do have other social work experience, such as being a school counselor and a juvenile parole officer, for what its worth.

I'm flexible as to what part of the country too. I wouldn't mind Santiago, but also open to Valparaiso and Vi�a del Mar, or in the north like Antofagasta. I'm looking for a university position, but I'm open to international, and even bilingual schools. Let me know if anyone has heard any success stories for people accomplishing this there with advanced education.

Any input greatly appreciated, thanks!
robertokun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also interested in University work. I have an M.A. TESOL and a few years of experience, and speak spanish fluently, so on paper I should be able to get a great University position. However, I've seen most people on here comment that you can't get hired from abroad, that it's better to show up in February before the start of the school year in March and hit the streets. This seems strange to me, at least from the university level perspective, because how could universities hire teaching faculty right before the start of the school year? Seems to me that you can't do much more than contact department heads and send CV's to try to set up interview in advance, at least. Am I wrong here? I'd hate to fly down there right now to look for jobs that have been filled for months already, or to get hired for some low level position at a shady place right before the school year starts.
Dia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of you should be able to get decent jobs with your degrees. The problem will just be timing/availability. For instance I know you would be of interest to schools and universities in Vina/Valpo (from talking to past bosses when they tell me who they'd like referrals from, and knowing requirements during hiring processes).

However, nobody's going to fire existing employees to give you a spot. Given that you both probably meet the minimums for getting hired at international/private schools/universities, this means in cities where there aren't too many schools, your finding a job will depend on if if they've got open spots more than your actual experience and degree. Also, MOST places still probably wont hire from abroad. Though you could probably jump start your search to before you actually get here, for instance start sending your resume a little bit before your plane lands, you pretty much do need to actually be here to get the job.

For serious full time jobs, I have found that many places start the hiring process in December... however there are frequently changes during the summer, so there is often a second round of hirings in late Feb to replace all the people that quit or got better offers during vacation!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: