Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ECC - no placements forthcoming untill 2012
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: ECC - no placements forthcoming untill 2012 Reply with quote

I was recruited by ECC in Melbourne in June and was told initially that I could expect to be in Japan by August/September. This date was pushed back to October/November a little while later and then yesterday I received an email saying that none of their districts had issued staffing requests and that there would be no placements available until next year at the earliest.

I'm absolutely devastated and I don't want to push back my plans another 4-6 months, I want to go now. Can you offer any advice about alternative work to teaching in the short term? What would be my chances of finding teaching jobs, or any other work, if I were to go over without anything lined up?

Also if there's any other ECC people here who received that email, feel free to vent in here.
dano_j

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's no good! I also went to the interview in June, but I failed the grammar test. I have re-applied and ECC are holding more recruitment sessions in October.

I guess they can't give you a position if one isn't available.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I want to go now"

Uh, what's the rush? It's almost September, which means you have a very slight chance of getting some rare job for the October start date. Otherwise, after that there is darned little opening until spring (with interviews in Feb/March). Even if you see ALT jobs advertised now, they will likely be for April start dates.

Want something short-term? About all that's left is Westgate Corp., but I don't know what their hiring schedule is.

Otherwise, be patient like the other 99% of newcomers. It's pretty crowded here.
Inflames

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax, ECC is generally a good company. If you can get something from them for next year I'd probably just wait.
mix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the advice and I can understand that I may seem over eager in coming over, but the fact is that everything I was doing was geared toward heading over by October and I was given no inclination otherwise that it would happen. Now I'm stuck in the incredibly awkward position of being unemployed, living at home and having all my plans pushed back six months.

I'm considering looking at resort work in Japan and also ESL jobs in Korea and China but I've invested a lot of time into studying Japanese and I feel absolutely cheated and deceived by ECC in the way they've handled the situation. When I was accepted by ECC I naturally stopped looking for other teaching jobs and instead focused on my language study and earning money through part-time work. I've been almost in a state of limbo waiting for a placement and I feel that the past 3 months have been a complete waste and set me back a long way.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mix wrote:
I'm considering looking at resort work in Japan
Unlikely that such seasonal work will offer you a work visa.

Quote:
I've invested a lot of time into studying Japanese and I feel absolutely cheated and deceived by ECC in the way they've handled the situation. When I was accepted by ECC
So, they've actually agreed to hire you? What have they told you about visa processing schedules? They are pretty reliable, so I am a bit surprised that they might have told you to go ahead and dump everything.

Was it really them who jumped the gun, is what I'm thinking.
mix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that I should expect a placement in August/September when I was told I passed the interview. How else could I have read the situation? I was given no indication that the teacher demand was lower than expected this year or that there was a chance that placements can take up to eight months. I kept in constant email contact with the recruitment manager and I strongly believe that he led me on in regards to my chances of placement. I was told after I missed the first August/September placement that I was now at the very top of the priority list and would be found a placement in the next round.
Apsara

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
mix wrote:
I'm considering looking at resort work in Japan
Unlikely that such seasonal work will offer you a work visa.

mix says she/he is in Melbourne, so as an Australian is probably eligible for a working holiday visa.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If mix meets the age and financial requirements, yes, indeed.
aynnej

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For resort work, you may want to check out the ski lodges. I went to Niseko in Hokkaido last year and noticed a good number of Australians working there. Think it might be a popular ski destinations for Australians, since the time difference between Japan and Australia isn't so bad (thus resorts might want to hire Australians as staff).
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mix wrote:
Appreciate the advice and I can understand that I may seem over eager in coming over, but the fact is that everything I was doing was geared toward heading over by October and I was given no inclination otherwise that it would happen. Now I'm stuck in the incredibly awkward position of being unemployed, living at home and having all my plans pushed back six months.
I'm sorry, but ECC will have told you that nothing is guaranteed until you get a placement. I was told the same by GEOS in 2002. Eggs and baskets.

Quote:
I'm considering looking at resort work in Japan and also ESL jobs in Korea and China but I've invested a lot of time into studying Japanese and I feel absolutely cheated and deceived by ECC in the way they've handled the situation. When I was accepted by ECC I naturally stopped looking for other teaching jobs and instead focused on my language study and earning money through part-time work. I've been almost in a state of limbo waiting for a placement and I feel that the past 3 months have been a complete waste and set me back a long way.
Sorry, you didn't listen to what you were told. ECC are actually among the more responsible employers in Japan; they wouldn't have lied to you about something as basic as whether or not there was actually a job for you.

Do check out the alternatives posted above. They are sensible suggestions.
mix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right they never guaranteed a placement, however, the recruiting session I went to advertised the fact that it was hiring for August/September placements and I feel that I wasn't given an honest or reasonable expectation of how long a placement was likely to take.

I'm exploring all options atm, but my head is still spinning from the disappointment. I think eventually I'm gonna have to accept that I'll need to find an office job for six months and tough it out. I guess it will give me the opportunity to apply to JET in December as well.
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being honest?
Far from it! They were as honest as could be. Reread your OP:

I was recruited by ECC in Melbourne in June and was told initially that I could expect to be in Japan by August/September. This date was pushed back to October/November a little while later and then yesterday [August] I received an email saying that none of their districts had issued staffing requests and that there would be no placements available until next year at the earliest.

I'd say they did their darnedest to keep you informed! If they told you to pack your bags and be prepared for a ship-out date of X, then you'd have something to complain about.

As for a "reasonable expectation", that's debatable, but you should have realized there was going to be a problem after the first delay, and especially since the market is in the shape it's in. I believe there have been other posted threads about such delays from employers here on this very web site.

Quote:
I guess it will give me the opportunity to apply to JET in December as well.
Geez! Have you even looked at the application filing schedule? Applications are screened in Australia in December. Filing date starts in October.
http://www.au.emb-japan.go.jp/e-web/education_jet.html
mix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was well informed I would've been looking at other options. I find it hard to believe that my recruitment manager would've been unaware of the likely demands for teachers before he told me that there were no placements available for this year.

Sure maybe I'm slightly bitter atm. Shoot me. I've just had my plans completely destroyed and I have little idea of what I'm going to do.
think_balance

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mix wrote:
I've just had my plans completely destroyed and I have little idea of what I'm going to do.

IIRC, they said you'll be brought on board next year, yes? Then do this:

If you don't currently have a job where you live, find one and save, save, save.

Start / continue studying Japanese.

Find a volunteer / paid position to tutor ESL.

In other words, build up your reserves and get some / more marketable skills for your CV.

Also, you can still look around and apply to other positions as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: