Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unis vs intl schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrWright

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Unis vs intl schools Reply with quote

Hello. I am a certified teacher in Az and have just started my M.ED in Tesol. My question what is the best fit for these qualifications. How much pay difference is there between an intl school and a univeristy in LA.? And is the pay in LA THAT much worse than Asia or the ME? Thanks in advance.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It's VERY different.

I worked at two top unis in Peru.

The first, I was a FT instructor and made 700 per month, for 12 months.

The second I was a PT instructor and made 800 per month for only 8 months, since we didn't get paid during exams or vacations.

INtl schools can pay from 1500 to 5000 plus benefits.

AS far as pay in LA, you mean intl schools? It depends on lots of things, the most important is if you're hired in country or abroad.

If you have a license and two yrs experience, go for the intl school. What subjects do you teach?
MrWright

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach History and Science, mostly Biology and Integrated Science
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then check out the IBO and TES. You should be able to find a job teaching those subject.
spanglish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Colombia, good uni jobs are 'cushier' as in you have nice students and easy work hours. K-12 will involve working with affluent children and teenagers and all that entails plus long hours.

In terms of money if you compare the elite uni jobs with the elite international school jobs, you'll definitely make a lot more money teaching K-12, but you'll earn it. Teachers working full hours at top unis here will make $1400-$3100 USD/month. A K-12 teacher at a top international school should make from the middle to upper end of that range plus nice, furnished housing and other benefits like flights. Universities tend to cater to the more long term, savvy expat types who already speak Spanish, know their way around and don't expect flights.

The British Council would be a happy medium between these two options, as it's probably slightly more demanding than a uni job, but less so than a high school, may involve teaching both children and adults, pays about the same or slightly less than a top international school and has both savvy expats and wide-eyed newbies.
smurfetta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out these websites:

www.internationalschoolsreview.com (good forum there and the pay side is worth the money)

www.tieonline.com (for job ads... Good place for looking for jobs if you are not ready to shell out the money to go to a fair.)

www.tes.co.uk (Check out the forum called teaching overseas under the roles section. The jobs posted tend to be geared towards British teachers but still worth a look since it is free.)

For fairs:

Google Search Associates and International School Services)

There is this fair in Atlanta that may interest you.

http://www.aassa.com/index.asp

Good luck with your job search!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: