Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where could I get a job with this CV?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monchi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Where could I get a job with this CV? Reply with quote

[I am editing my subject and text here from the previous which stated "What places are your PREFERENCES for teaching?" since I know that my previous experience/education/citizenship leave me unqualified for certain places]

QUESTION:
Where could I get a job based on this summary of my CV? If you could, please comment on the country, public or private school jobs, university jobs or other areas. Thank you so much! I appreciate any input here, as I am new to the business and I am still learning the ins and outs of teaching abroad. Keep in mind, I am mostly concerned about saving money while teaching abroad (It's the not overall deciding factor, but it's a big factor).

EDUCATION:
BFA - Music Education and Music (completed full education program's requirements along with the full music education's requirements).
MA - Higher Ed Administration
TESOL (anticipated 2015)

TEACHING EXPERIENCE:
Music Teacher: K-8 for 2 years. 9-12 practicum teaching for 1 semester.

ESL Teacher in the US: Taught in-person (face-to-face) classes with a literacy organization (4 years) and online ESL lessons (3 years).

Thank you for any tips!

Last edited by Monchi on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:39 am; edited 9 times in total
water rat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite enjoyed Japan for the novelty of their ways and culture, and I made good money back in the mid and late 1980s.

I have lived in ten countries and met all sorts of people from many others, and the Mexicans are my favorite people of all, very sweet and polite, and their language is relatively easy to pick up for an English speaker.

If you're really asking about where you might go, I will not venture to say, it's a big world and I don't know your interests or tastes. That you taught children, and assuming you would not mind doing so in the future is good. It opens a lot more options. As you know, most students are young people.

So the way the ESL business is now, one of the questions you have to ask yourself is whether you are interested in working in China. It's the behemoth of the business these days.

You can see plenty about living and working here on the boards, so I won't go into all that here.

Good luck in your search.

[added:] How about your online experience: what nationalities did you teach? Perhaps you found a who interest you?
Monchi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

water rat wrote:

If you're really asking about where you might go, I will not venture to say, it's a big world and I don't know your interests or tastes. That you taught children, and assuming you would not mind doing so in the future is good. It opens a lot more options. As you know, most students are young people.

[added:] How about your online experience: what nationalities did you teach? Perhaps you found a who interest you?

Thanks, WaterRat-
I am mainly looking for ease of living as a single female American and salary (since my saving account is pretty nil). I have heard that Saudi Arabia and UAE (Dubai) pays well, but I think Saudi Arabia sounds a bit to confining for me as a female and wouldn't want to work there. Dubai sounds like it could have some potential. I'm open to Asia as well, but would probably choose an Asian country in which I would save the most... any ideas on that? I am open to entry-level positions, for sure.

Last edited by Monchi on Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zugora wrote:
I am mainly looking for ease of living as a single female American and salary (since my saving account is pretty nil). I have heard that Saudi Arabia and UAE (Dubai) pays well, but I think Saudi Arabia sounds a bit to confining for me as a female. Dubai sounds like it could have some potential.

Saudi Arabia could be a possibility if you keep your expectations low. However, be aware that degrees that entailed online coursework and online TEFL certs are not recognized by the Saudi government in terms of employment.

For the UAE, you'd need an MA in TESOL or Applied Linguistics + a minimum of 3 years, full-time (post-MA) TEFL experience at the tertiary level. So yes, East and Southeast Asia are your best bet.

But again, you might be able to get a job teaching music in an international school in the UAE.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't mentioned it, but most of Europe would be off the table simply due to your citizenship. The central/eastern countries where you could get a work visa won't pay enough to allow you to save. You would need an onsite TEFL cert as a minimum to even get in the door here (online would not suffice for this region).
water rat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zugora wrote:
water rat wrote:

Thanks, WaterRat-
I am mainly looking for ease of living as a single female American and salary (since my saving account is pretty nil). I have heard that Saudi Arabia and UAE (Dubai) pays well, but I think Saudi Arabia sounds a bit to confining for me as a female. Dubai sounds like it could have some potential. I'm open to Asia as well, but would probably choose an Asian country in which I would save the most... any ideas on that?

I omitted a word earlier. I meant, 'Perhaps you found a [people] who interest you?'

Yes, Saudi Arabia is a bit much, especially for a woman. The 90-year old king died just yesterday, so it could be things might be a bit up in the air for a time. Who can say?

Perhaps South Korea would suit you. The money is relatively good, and you are possibly well qualified for there. You would almost certainly teach children.

In Japan, I think the job market is more competitive these days and although you'd be paid well, you may not be able to save due to the high living cost.

In that respect Korea is more doable. However, many here at Dave's will tell you that the living cost in China is so far below Korea, that you can save just as much here if you are thrifty and stay sober. However. Korea is hard work, not easy living.

I'm not trying to sell you on China, but you could choose the age you want to teach here, you could even choose the region. Many of us work less than 20 hours a week at full salary. Once you start sending out your CV, which you can do here at Dave's, whether you are interested in China or not, the vast majority of responses will come from China.

I wouldn't suggest Turkey, Indonesia, Poland, Vietnam, South America, Africa or even Mexico if it's money you want (although you could maybe save in Indonesia or Vietnam). Taiwan is similar to China, of course, but more likely you'd teach children, and the higher salary is proportionate to higher living cost. EU is out if yo are not a citizen of an EU country.

Hmmm. So where does that leave?
Nomad Soul is correct about the Middle East. Watch out for that.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title of this thread is imprecise: " my" preferences (and why), like those of many other posters here, are absolutely unrelatable to you/yours.

In my specific case, you can't work where I have and do (your passport and qualifications wouldn't allow it) and your best option - Asia - is a region in which I'd have absolutely no interest.

You might want to edit the title to make it reflect the information you are trying to elicit more accurately.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preferences: Europe and the Levant. The rest of the world doesn't interest me very much. I especially prefer Russia. Rich culture, highest-paying private students on the Continent, generally easy life once ropes have been learnt. Though it can be tough for the first year or so.

Tips? A thorough grounding in Dialectical Materialism, and a working knowledge of the Cyrillic alphabet are essential.

Also, it is important to realise that Russian students usually simply do not care about their teachers' background, political beliefs, opinions on the shortcomings of various aspects of Russian life, funny stories from the pub the night before etc. They want to learn English and this is what teachers are there for. I have seen many EFLers get quite a jolt when students complained that their classes were a waste of time. So, be able to teach demanding learners.

Working in language schools, be clear what is meant by a lesson. One academic hour? Two? Three? And how long is an academic hour? 45 mins? 60? Not checking this out can sometimes result in a nasty surprise come payday.

Most importantly of all, never ever lose your passport or various documents. Major pain to replace visas and registration etc. "No documents, no person", as is well-known...
Monchi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
The title of this thread is imprecise: " my" preferences (and why), like those of many other posters here, are absolutely unrelatable to you/yours.

In my specific case, you can't work where I have and do (your passport and qualifications wouldn't allow it) and your best option - Asia - is a region in which I'd have absolutely no interest.

You might went to edit the title to make it reflect the information you are trying to elicit more accurately.

Thank you Spiral78 and others for your valuable tips and information. I went ahead and edited this post's title and original post question to reflect the situation since I know now that I am unable to get a job anywhere. Please see the question again and comment based on that. Thank you again for all of your helpful information! I truly appreciate your time and experience! Smile

Last edited by Monchi on Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Monchi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, does it seem feasible that I should focus my job hunting on the following countries? And if so, which schools are preferred - public, private, or university (if qualified)? I am mostly concerned with saving money.

KOREA
CHINA
JAPAN
TAIWAN
THAILAND
MEXICO?
TURKEY?
DUBAI? (Can you confirm that Dubai is totally out due to my anticipated online certification and degree?)

Last edited by Monchi on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zugora wrote:
So, does it seem feasible that I should focus my job hunting on the following countries? And if so, which schools are preferred - public, private, or university (if qualified)? I am mostly concerned with saving money.

DUBAI? (Is Dubai out due to my anticipated online certification and degree?)

As I stated above, for the UAE (Dubai), you'd need an MA in TESOL or Applied Linguistics + a minimum of 3 years, full-time (post-MA) TEFL experience at the tertiary level. University employers in the Emirates are very specific about the degree requirement, which means your MA will not qualify you for TEFL jobs. However, you might be able to get a job teaching music in an IB or American curriculum international school in the UAE. See Teach Away's site. (There's a reason why I keep mentioning that you check them out.)
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zugora wrote:

KOREA
CHINA
JAPAN
TAIWAN
THAILAND
MEXICO?
TURKEY?
DUBAI? (Is Dubai out due to my anticipated online certification and degree?)

With YOUR (unrelated) qualifications you qualify for an entry level job anywhere in east Asia. For Korea/China: simply hit up the job boards and start applying for everything. You will be working in Asia in about 90 days.

If you were hoping to jump in to some premium position as an EFL teacher or lecturer you are likely to be disappointed. You are competing with people like me (MATESOL, M.Ed + 16 years of related experience) for those "premium" jobs.

IF you have home country licensure as a teacher (current) AND want to work in your field then look at the international school boards, recruitment fairs and agencies rather than EFL/ESL job boards and forums.

You would probably find a position with a decent remuneration package. TES, Search Associates, International Schools Review, IBO schools list, etc. would be the place to be looking

I won't speak to the other countries on your laundry list but in the following countries you are looking at remuneration packages (salary and benefits) that will be like:

KOREA - 2.1 million KRW + housing and airfare. ($1950/month)
CHINA 6000-10000 RMB + housing and and airfare allowance. ($950-1600 - depending on region and cost of living)
JAPAN - 250,000 YEN with no benefits. The exception would be the JET program if you are not too old. ($2100)
TAIWAN - 50,000 TWD with no other benefits ($1600)
THAILAND - 35000-45000 THB with no other benefits. ($1100-1400)

For regular (k-12) schools (public or private) you are looking at a 40 hour week with 18-24 scheduled classes per week.

In language centers you would work about 30 classes per week with no extra work outside of your classes.

In universities you are unlikely to find work related to EFL.

If you do (provincial universities in Thailand or China most likely) it would be poorly paid; teaching conversational English classes to 1st year undergrads.

Teaching loads of 9-18 classes per week can be expected and for those countries where you could legally work in the tertiary sector (in most cases the regulatory body for higher education would limit you to your field) the wages would be on the order of $800-1000/month.

As as a parting shot.... your on-line TESOL course is virtually worthless. Get a decent and recognized one (SIT, Trinity, CELTA) or save your money.

Monchi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I greatly appreciate many of the responses, I have to say that the overall tone that I'm experiencing here on Dave's ESL Cafe as a newbie has been a bit rude and insulting (coming from another post I made as well). I really feel that I have been pleasant with my question and don't know if I deserve somewhat condescending comments when it's clear that I'm a new to the business and just looking for some helpful tips.

Thanks again. If there is someone that would like to respond without sounding condescending, I would appreciate your insight. If not, please refrain from responding.

It also seems that posts have been *edited* now.

Last edited by Monchi on Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zugora wrote:
While I greatly appreciate many of the responses, I have to say that the overall tone that I'm experiencing here on Dave's ESL Cafe as a newbie has been a bit rude and insulting. I really feel that I have been pleasant with my question and don't know if I deserve somewhat condescending comments when it's clear that I'm a new to the business and just looking for some helpful tips.

Thanks again. If there is someone that would like to respond without sounding condescending, I would appreciate your insight. If not, please been condescending to you in any way. The comments and suggestions were all given with the intent of helping you and giving you straight information. That said, it's more likely that you're shocked and very disappointed at the reality of what your qualifications can get you in terms refrain from responding.

It's unfortunate that you see it that way. None of the posts so far have been condescending to you in any way; the comments and suggestions were all given with the intent of helping you and giving you straight information. That said, it's more likely that you're shocked and very disappointed at the reality of what your qualifications can get you in terms of TEFL abroad. Unfortunately, there's no way to sugar-coat reality and tell you what you want to hear. (And I say this without sarcasm or as an insult.)
Monchi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
It's unfortunate that you see it that way. None of the posts so far have been condescending to you in any way; the comments and suggestions were all given with the intent of helping you and giving you straight information. That said, it's more likely that you're shocked and very disappointed at the reality of what your qualifications can get you in terms of TEFL abroad. Unfortunately, there's no way to sugar-coat reality and tell you what you want to hear. (And I say this without sarcasm or as an insult.)

I suspected that might be the response that I expected "sugar-coating". No, I do not expect sugar-coating, just polite responses with the information based on experience. Thank you for your presumptions, but no, I am actually not disappointed, and have suspected this all along, due to my conversations with someone I know currently teaching ESL abroad. It wasn't just in this thread, Nomad Soul, but another thread as well. And yes, I did visit Teach Away's site last night. Thank you for assuming that I didn't.

I see previous posts have been edited now.

Last edited by Monchi on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:43 am; edited 6 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: