Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Qualified Teacher-suggestions for a job search

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sohniye

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Qualified Teacher-suggestions for a job search Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I am a certified upper-primary/secondary teacher from the United States, my specialization is in Special Education at the MA level though I also have the right to teach in a standard classroom.

I do not have an EU passport nor the right to work in EU currently. I hate to repeat a common question: but what are my prospects?

I do have a friend with similar qualifications working for a kindergarten in Germany so it seems possible. Both of us were educated in the British system though I of course speak with an American accent which I hear

Also, I am half German and half Native American do I approach this topic at all?

Thank you Smile
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand clearly, you have currently no qualifications for teaching language - correct? If this is the case, you will need to consider at least a CELTA, I think, to be at all competitive on this job market.

Do you speak German? That would help. I do not think your ancestry should be a factor.

The next step would be to find out what is the current process for obtaining a visa for a non-EU citizen. In the past, that has been do-able in some cases, though it's very difficult. I would assume that your friend could give you direct information on the process.

There are previous threads on this board which discuss the process in some detail, but I believe they are all over a year old by now and things have likely changed, so much of that will be outdated.
sohniye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spiral,

First of all cool schnauzer! They're amongst my favourite kinds of dogs Very Happy

I am actually not seeking a job as an ESL Instructor/teacher but rather looking into work with international schools; of which I am discovering there are many I just not certain how to best present myself and my qualifications to them.

I am a trained upper-primary secondary teacher; the MA is in Education but not TESOL. I am your standard classroom teacher, I have taught numerous subjects including English You are correct I do not have a CELTA.

You are completely correct about the everchanging nature of visa requirements and other legalities---I have read the numerous threads on this board about it but am having trouble getting my mind around what would need to be done.

I undestand basic German and am in the proccess of becoming fully fluent. I would not call myself fluent by any means right now.

spiral78 wrote:
If I understand clearly, you have currently no qualifications for teaching language - correct? If this is the case, you will need to consider at least a CELTA, I think, to be at all competitive on this job market.

Do you speak German? That would help. I do not think your ancestry should be a factor.

The next step would be to find out what is the current process for obtaining a visa for a non-EU citizen. In the past, that has been do-able in some cases, though it's very difficult. I would assume that your friend could give you direct information on the process.

There are previous threads on this board which discuss the process in some detail, but I believe they are all over a year old by now and things have likely changed, so much of that will be outdated.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see.

If you are not aiming to teach EFL, you clearly won't need the cert.

Further, legitimate international schools can get a visa for whomever they choose to hire. I think your first step is to compile a CV and simply apply for whatever job openings you find. You should not have to be concerned with freelance visas and all the attendant paperwork - an international school will be equipped to handle all the details for you, or at least to send you to the proper offices with the correct papers.

The schnauzer says danke fur de compliment:-)
sohniye

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Ah, I see.

If you are not aiming to teach EFL, you clearly won't need the cert.

Further, legitimate international schools can get a visa for whomever they choose to hire. I think your first step is to compile a CV and simply apply for whatever job openings you find. You should not have to be concerned with freelance visas and all the attendant paperwork - an international school will be equipped to handle all the details for you, or at least to send you to the proper offices with the correct papers.

The schnauzer says danke fur de compliment:-)

Wow, so international schools don't need to prove that an EU national can fit a vacancy first? That right there would open a lot of doors.

Do you think it is enough to (at least initally) send just an email of interest with resumes, references and such attached? I actually have just done another thread on this but there might be a step/formality that is Germany specific that I am not aware of.

Sincerely,

Sohniye. Wink
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they do need to show that there is no EU national with your quals, but international schools can make a case for a US native speaker to fill out their mix of accents, for example.

The overall biggest hurdle you are likely to encounter is simply that there are not many openings in international schools in these regions, and the ones that do come up often go to people with local connections. Doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a shot, or that you might not get lucky, but these positions are really relatively rare.

Quote:
email of interest with resumes, references and such attached?

Yes, but I'd adjust 'resume' to CV. This is more common in the region - gives more information, but is less Politically Correct, US -style. It's normal to put a current photo in the upper right corner. Give your nationality, age, and marital status openly. In your case, half-German is an advantage. At the end of the CV, note 'German language to ABC level' - ideally using CEF (Common European Framework) standards (you can google these or if you want to pm me, I can send you the equivalency tables). They'll be interested in your German skills, I would think.

I noticed that Artemesia has replied to your other thread - she spent a few years working in Germany and is a very reputable source. My own experience is 6.5 years in the Netherlands, on the German border. I've got quite a few friends and acquaintances working in Germany, but I haven't done it personally.
vashdown2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

International Schools have already hired their staff for this year 2012-2013 through the various Job Fairs that are held all over the world.

If you are open to going ANYWHERE in the world, then get registered with Search Associates or ISS and attend a job fair for NEXT year hiring.

But, if you ONLY want to work in Germany, then you better get a CELTA and hit the language schools....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: