Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyang Normal University

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rioux

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Anyang Normal University Reply with quote

Does anyone know if this is a good university to work for?
Is the city an okay place to call home?
ChrisHenry15

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Targeted placement by recruiters to unsuspecting applicants. Ads posted every few days on various sites by various recruiters. Either a high turn over rate, or a really shty place to be. Google the uni, you'll find some interesting reviews.

Just like that 'Beautiful Fuzhou Costal City' job @ 10-12. The Foreign Language and Trade Uuni with some interesting stories.
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Anyang in South Korea?
rioux

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foo_Fighters_Dave wrote:
Isn't Anyang in South Korea?

Yes, they have one too.
Volver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work just up the road from this place at AnYang Technical University. OK part of town - not really crowded, bus service good, plenty of stores and restaurants in the area. However, they also have another campus near downtown and this area is cr*p. It is crowded and noisy and the housing is similar. Make sure you find out where you will work and live.

As far as the city is concerned, it is just another middling, nothing place in Henan Province. There is nothing to do and opportunities for side work are limited unless you like teaching kids. There are places to hike and bike ride outside of the city which are quite nice, but it takes time and effort to get there. ZZ is not far away to the south, but can't really recommend going there for any reason.

Bottom line is there are worse places to start your time (sentence?) in China than AnYang. It will get you into the country and the jobs are not very difficult. If this is your first venture into this place, you could do a lot worse.

V
rioux

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you tell James from the FAO that something is wrong in the apartment he either ignores you or gets angry at you for simply telling him.

The apartments are not on the main campus. It’s a spit and at times a vomit filled kilometer (.6 miles) walk to the bus stop. From there it’s takes about 15 minutes to get to the main campus. The apartment area has lots of people and it just looks filthy. Likewise, the apartment building is old and dingy and has sporadic water leaks in the stairwell. It’s located right next to an elementary school with a loud PA system. There are two dogs right below who enjoy barking which is clearly within earshot. I’m on the 6th floor so those below me must really suffer.
The freezer section for the refrigerator I received did not work at all so my wife and I carried another one up from the 3rd floor to the 6th floor. It was just too much of a hassle trying to deal with all the things wrong with our apartment. In fact, when I once asked James why I didn't have a kitchen table I was told, "You Americans just always go by what the contract says."

Management informed us before we arrived that all our classes would end at 3pm and there were no weekend classes. However, in the first term I taught 4 classes on Saturday mornings and in the second term my classes ended close to 10pm. Our summer travel fee was paid 38 days late.

If you enjoy breathing tons of smog then you will love it here. It looks and smells like death.
http://wanderingthebluemarble.com/death-smog-china/

Other links about the goings on here:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=116923&highlight=anyang
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=116880

Last edited by rioux on Sat May 11, 2019 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
rioux

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volver wrote:
I used to work just up the road from this place at AnYang Technical University.

They sent me a contract awhile back and it wasn't too good (lots of hours, low pay and weekly English Corners). I didn't accept it.
Was it like that when you were there or has it become worse?
rioux

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed for the past 2 weeks security at the school has been quite strict. Found out today from a few of the students the reason why. Some random guy walked into the campus, entered one of the buildings and began walking around "bottomless" (no pants and underwear). It freaked the students out (mostly girls) and so security was called and they had to have him immediately and forcibly removed from the campus. Not sure if he was arrested though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: