Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not quite qualified...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sounion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Not quite qualified... Reply with quote

This is a repost from the newbie forum. Any and all help would be awesome!

Quote:
Hey all,

Sorry to be posting all over the place these days but I came across some fast internet so I'm taking full advantage!

My partner (sans fast internet) is applying to a post that she has ALL the qualifications for except a background in US or IB schools.

She's Canadian with 2 years experience (possibly 1.5 depending on how you ask her Smile) in Canada, Thailand, and now Bhutan.

My question is if she should apply? School is in Singapore teaching 3rd graders English. Actually, I told her to apply because what's the worst that could happen.

But what might she emphasize? Should she emphasize she's part of a teaching couple thus reducing risk of bailing for her future employer? Should she mention that I'm American, thereby able to provide her insight into American curriculum/schooling? Does she stand a chance?

What say you forum deities? Any help would be much appreciated. Cool

Quote:
As for her quals:
- B.Ed. specializing in Early Years Development
- B.A. in English (double majored with criminology - not much use there)
- 2 yrs. experience with ESL students (Thailand, Bhutan)
- Completed Principles and Procedures of Second Language Teaching course (TESOL equivalent)

As for us:
- heterosexual couple
- not married
- I have work lined up that includes visa and other benefits

Updated thoughts? Cool
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the work experience she has teaching EFL or is it teaching English to English speakers?

Is she applying to an international school (sounds like it)?

She might as well give it a go and see what happens.

Your marital status will have zero bearing on any job outcome. They are only interested in whether the candidate has the tight paperwork and experience.
sounion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is the work experience she has teaching EFL or is it teaching English to English speakers?

Is she applying to an international school (sounds like it)?

Her experience is teaching EFL and yes, this is an international school. Not sure if that changes any thought or opinion on the matter.

My reason for posting was for any tips or pointers on her application but it seems the best course of action is to just apply and hope for the best. Thanks for the input!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: