Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bell Amman - getting worse
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rochdale Ros

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Bell Amman - getting worse Reply with quote

This has become a totally f-ed up place to work. They don't pay on time, and if you are leaving, they don't pay you at all. They have a policy of trying to get out of paying people when they are leaving, a couple teachers just got ripped off leaving.

- They are not directly controlled by Bell in UK, so they use the Bell name to make it okay, what they do.
- High turnover of managerial, admin and teaching staff. Everyone hates it there.
- The teaching is bad at Al Quds College, crazy-ass, lazy students, corrupt exam system, and at times totally dangerous - a murder with a handgun happened there recently.
- Short notice on classes constantly, you are totally asked to teach at the last minute, all the time.
- You are expected to be there for 40 hours per week, work or no work.
- Very disorganized admin, Human Resource departments.
- A whole bunch of teachers just got fired from there for no reason.
- The center is far from Jebel Amman or anywhere in the city, the only realistic way to get to work is by taxi - which will cost you at least $6-$7 US per day.

It is not a good place to work, trust me.
Middle East Beast

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had an ad running at tefl.com for a few weeks. It's gone now, so I guess they made their quota or, hopefully (based on your description of them), they gave up.

Thanks for the report.

MEB Cool
Rochdale Ros

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle East Beast wrote:
They had an ad running at tefl.com for a few weeks. It's gone now, so I guess they made their quota or, hopefully (based on your description of them), they gave up.

Thanks for the report.

MEB Cool

I see they are advertising for an Academic Manager there on tefl.com - people would have to be nuts to take it, I heard the last dude left after 6 weeks or something.
DQ33

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Bell Amman, only getting better! Reply with quote

This is totally untrue! Bell Amman is a good place to work at!

In fact, the majority of the teachers working there do not leave before the end of their contracts- only two teachers did this year. The Centre hires British and American teachers; as expats you don�t expect them to stay over a year in one country anyways. However, the Centre has teachers who have been working for 2-3 years.

Also, you could do your own search and you�ll find out that teachers there are amongst the highest teachers paid in Jordan!
To have real and credible feedback about the place, you should get in touch with teachers who work there, which should be easy to do.

About the Academic Manager, �Rochdale Ros� knows very well that he stayed longer than just 6 weeks! He left the Centre as he preferred teaching to management as he was a much better teacher than he was a manager!
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear DQ33,

" . . . as expats you don�t expect them to stay over a year in one country anyways."

Really? Besides having a misplaced modifier, that statement seems absurd to me - unless you're referring to unqualified "backpackers."

"However, the Centre has teachers who have been working for 2-3 years."

Wow, 2-3 years, huh? Long-time veterans, indeed. Very Happy

Regards,
John
DQ33

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear johnslat,

The Centre has been operating for 3 years!

Regards,
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear DQ33,

I stand corrected on my second point. Sorry.

How about my first point?

Regards,
John
DQ33

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the teachers I�ve met change countries every one-two years! That applies to both, inside and outside Jordan. What most of them say is that they want to live the experience in different countries!

In Jordan, those who stay longer are usually half British/American half Jordanian or married to a Jordanian.

Backpackers? Maybe!

Regards,
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear DQ33,

That certainly doesn't jibe with my EFL experience (22 years). Most EFL teachers I've known (hundreds over the years) stayed in places at least two years, usually much longer.
The only ones I knew who stayed one year were either fired, hated the job/place, or were backpacking - sometimes all three.

I'd be interested to hear what others think, too.

Regards,
John
DQ33

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my perspective, there is no major difference between one year and two! Both are short periods of time, still.
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear DQ33,

That certainly doesn't jibe with my EFL experience (22 years). Most EFL teachers I've known (hundreds over the years) stayed in places at least two years, usually much longer.
The only ones I knew who stayed one year were either fired, hated the job/place, or were backpacking - sometimes all three.

I'd be interested to hear what others think, too.

Regards,
John

Same with me, however, "professionalism" of many was an "iffy" quality 'specially on the military contracts!

It's aimed at Jason C. Ya still out there, boy?!
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear DC33,

" Most EFL teachers I've known (hundreds over the years) stayed in places at least two years, usually much longer

I've put the parts you seem to have overlooked in bold, just in case you missed them.

which, I believe, is very different from this:

"Most of the teachers I�ve met change countries every one-two years!"

The percentage of those I've known who stayed only two years was, I'd say, only about 5 to 10%.

You seem to be acquainted with an unusually restless bunch of colleagues. Very Happy

Regards,
John
basiltherat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among many, i think one sign of evidence that you are doing the job you were asked to do is how long you stay with an employer.

Three, four or 5 years, for example, would indicate some sort of ability to perform to the employer's satisfaction.

Whether you actually wanted to stay is a different matter but at least it shows a future employer that you can hold down a job; whatever that job might have comprised.

Best,
Basil Very Happy
cmp45

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basiltherat wrote:
Among many, i think one sign of evidence that you are doing the job you were asked to do is how long you stay with an employer.

Three, four or 5 years, for example, would indicate some sort of ability to perform to the employer's satisfaction.

Whether you actually wanted to stay is a different matter but at least it shows a future employer that you can hold down a job; whatever that job might have comprised.

Best,
Basil Very Happy

I agree, three years minimum on your resume certainly 'indicates' stability....the added benefit of staying longer than 5 years at a ME job is the end of contract gratuity...you would recieve one month's salary bonus for every year worked, instead of only half a month's salary, if you had stayed at the job under five years. At least this is the case with the 'better employers' in the ME ( KSA).
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the place that CMP45 is talking about. Without sounding like a lackey for the university, I think KAU in Jeddah is a place that teachers can teach at and feel like wanting to stay those five years in order to get the larger end-of-service bonus. PM me if you would like to know more. Heck, I like my job, so sue me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: