Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Winter ESL jobs in San Diego?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonikiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Any Winter ESL jobs in San Diego? Reply with quote

Hi there. My name's Matt. I'm 23, a college graduate (BA in Communication) and a recent CELTA graduate (PASS). I'm currently looking for winter work in the states to build up a little extra cash to teach abroad next Summer or Spring.

Since San Diego is so close to the Mexican border (I live in Chula Vista proper, which is a jump, hop, and skip away from the fence), I figured there'd be a few conversation schools for immigrants and such. Most of the work I've seen online, however, revolves around NYC and Vancouver.

Does anyone know about the health of the ESL job market in Southern California during Winter and Spring? I'm not sure where to begin my job search (still wet behind the ears from my finished CELTA course last week).

As an aside, I'm not sure whether entry level ESL positions are common in the states. I'm certainly aware they're not that practical, due to the high cost of housing (fortunately, I'm living with family here in SoCal, so my expenses are covered for the foreseeable future). Getting a burger-flipping job has occurred to me, but I'd much rather get experience in my field, no matter how small, than let it atrophy in the dark recesses of time and apathy.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do an Internet search for CATESOL, California Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages.
Jonikiro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nomad, that suggestion pretty much hit the nail on the head. How did you find out about this organization? I'm trying to refine my search methods for positions like these, so any information regarding what separates this institution from others like it would be very helpful.

I've spent the last week gorging myself (try to picture this metaphor literally) with information on this field. Trying to separate entry level positions from those that require 3 or more years of experience has been one of my sticking points for a while, however. This site seems to offer a little of both, but its definitely a good start.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CATESOL is an affiliate of TESOL (www.TESOL.org), a global association with 49 affiliates in the US and many others worldwide. I've been a member of both TESOL and CoTESOL, the Colorado affiliate, for five years. You should consider joining CATESOL for information and networking purposes.
Honolulu Lou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt...I don't know if you're still looking for a winter job in SD...but I'd suggest checking out the language schools..both downtown and in La Jolla..they don't pay much..and it would be part-time (Winter is generally slow).
but it's a start.

Try Craigslist SD under Jobs:Education
gabeen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I'm brand new here, and I'm in pretty much the same boat as you Jonikiro. I'm brand new to the TEFL world, but I'd like to stay in the states a while before going abroad. I just finished the CELTA and I have a BA in Spanish. I'm trying to find work in San Diego for the short term but everyone seems to only want experienced teachers here. It's very frustrating and I'm having trouble getting started in this field.

Have you had any luck Jonikiro? If you pay to join CATESOL, do you get better access to job listings?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabeen, CATESOL (http://www.catesol.org/members.html) has info about the current TESL job market in the region, continuing professional development for teachers, scheduled regional TESL events, and networking opportunities.

In regard to your job search, unfortunately, having just a BA and no experience limits your chances of landing a paid teaching job in the US. Seriously consider getting that experience in an entry-level, TEFL gig abroad in Latin America or Asia instead. You can check out info about teaching in these regions in their respective job discussion forums.
gabeen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a huge bummer. The staff and International House, where I took the CELTA, led me to believe it was possible to get work in California. As I'm coming to find, it's very difficult to start an ESL career in the states. Thanks for the information.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabeen wrote:
That is a huge bummer. The staff and International House, where I took the CELTA, led me to believe it was possible to get work in California. As I'm coming to find, it's very difficult to start an ESL career in the states. Thanks for the information.

Perhaps years ago, when the economy was healthy, it was possible to get a teaching gig in California (or any other state) with a CELTA, BA, and no relevant experience. But nowadays, even those with a newly-minted MA in TESOL are having difficulties landing an entry-level, teaching job�one that also provides an economically-viable salary. The good news is that there are TEFL jobs abroad available to you that fit your qualifications, if you decide to take the plunge and head overseas like so many others have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: