Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary for BA+CELTA+4 years of Canadian experience??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ak_hope

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Salary for BA+CELTA+4 years of Canadian experience?? Reply with quote

Hello,

What would be a reasonable salary for a BA + CELTA holder with 4 years of teaching experience at Canadian ESL schools/colleges?

Would a Dh 5000-6000 monthly salary be a reasonable offer if they provide accommodation and airfare?

Finally, what would be some good schools to send my resume to given my above-mentioned qualifications? And would it be an advantage or a disadvantage that I am a Canadian citizen by birth but from Arab origin and can speak, read and write Arabic fluently?

Thanks in advance for any info you offer.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello AK,

First off, I think this is a very low salary for the Emirates, but it is probably common for the schools that you mention. These schools have very few native speaker teachers, so it is unlikely that you will find many people on this board who taught at any of them. They tend to hire mostly sub-continentals or other Arab nationals.

I have been thinking about whether your Arab family background and language skills would be an advantage or disadvantage -- and I'm really not sure. Logic would say that it is an advantage, but things are not always logical in the Gulf. Embarassed

Did you want to teach in the schools or at college / university level? Have you looked at the TESOL Arabia website? Your lack of an MA will exclude you from many of the best paying jobs, but there should be a number of possibilities in private colleges in both Oman and the UAE.

Good Luck

VS
ak_hope

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear veiledsentiments,

I truly appreciate your reply. As for these schools, I was actually surprised when I double checked their ad; they say that they require native speakers!

I was wondering... do you know what they would regard as a "native speaker"? I am Canadian born and Canadian educated, but I am of Arab origin. Would I not be considered a native speaker because of my Arab origin or my Arab flavored name?

Finally, any suggestions of private colleges in Oman and UAE where I could send my resume to?

Thanks again!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello AK,

Well, I would consider you a native speaker, but I would be leery of predicting how these governments would react. Smile I think (and hope) that they would accurately consider you a 'native speaker.'

Interesting that these places say that they 'require' native speakers. Yet, we don't seem to get any of their teachers posting on here - which leads me to believe that they may not always get what they 'require.' (I, of course, could be wrong and they just don't bother with Dave's)

Some places you might want to look into in Oman are Mazoon College, Modern College of Business & Science, and even Sultan Qaboos University. Actually there are a couple more in the capital area, but I can't recall their names. There are probably more in the Emirates, but I don't know them as well to be comfortable with recommending them. I do know that the Higher Colleges does hire some people with BA + CELTA, but they are normally looking for a great deal of experience.

Check out their websites.

VS
Afra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your BA? You could try the Latifa School in Dubai, which offers an excellent package, or so I have been told.
ak_hope

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

Afra, thanks for the lead about Latifa school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: