Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rome

View previous topic :: View next topic  
expatwannabe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Rome Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have just completed a CELTA course in London and I am looking to move to Rome in the New Year.

I've a couple of specific questions which it would be great if someone could help me with.

First, I've been told that January is a good time to get a job. If this is true, when is the best time to start looking? December? Or early in January? Or do you think it would be worth looking now saying that I am not available until January?

Second, is there a general time when language schools re-open after Christmas, such as the start or the end? Or do they differ?

Also, if anyone had any advice on good schools to apply to, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks very much,

Peter.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First, I've been told that January is a good time to get a job. If this is true, when is the best time to start looking? December? Or early in January? Or do you think it would be worth looking now saying that I am not available until January?

The absolute best time is now, when businesses start back up again after the summer break. January isn't too bad a time, as schools might be looking to replace teachers after the xmas break. You could definitely come over now and leave your CV with schools, saying you'll be back in Jan, but there's always the risk that they won't have work for you in Jan. Some schools hire all year round (Wall Street, Berlitz etc) but they don't pay particularly well as far as I know.

Quote:
Second, is there a general time when language schools re-open after Christmas, such as the start or the end? Or do they differ?

After Epiphany, which is Jan 6, I think. Most places will close by midday Dec 24 (or sooner, depending on what day xmas falls on) and stay closed until Jan 7 (or later, depending on what day of the week that is).
expatwannabe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear 'Teacher in Rome', thanks very much, that's really helpful.

Unfortunately, due to family commitments, I can't leave the UK until the New Year, but I'm planning to come to Rome for a few days before then to visit some schools and leave my CV.

All the best,

Peter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: