Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Information for Moving to and Working in Medellin???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minkah3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Information for Moving to and Working in Medellin??? Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I'm planning on moving to Medellin in November/December and am having a bit of trouble during the transition process. I recently earned my ESL certification and have an English degree, with some teaching experience in an American university. I was hoping to receive some input on how others have went about finding a teaching job in Medellin, as well as getting a work visas. I'm finding that few people have been able to secure a job while out of Colombia, and, in turn, have had to go down and search out the city for a couple of weeks. In addition, I haven't really seen a plethora of teaching jobs in Medellin on the internet or on other board postings.

Any information on this process and your own experiences is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
newdayrising

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried looking for a job in Medellin last February and it was tough. I went to at least 20 different institutes and couldn't find anything. If I stayed longer and did a better job following through with people maybe I would've found more, but I just decided to move on after a few weeks (there were some other personal factors involved with decision). It was frustrating because some places acted interested in me until they realized they'd have to help me with the visa. If you're really committed and go out hustling your resume every day you'll probably eventually find something. But Medellin is known as one of the toughest places in Colombia to get started in. I think so much of it is luck and showing up right when someone else leaves.
mlawson1776

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Minkah3,

I don't know if you are still checking this but I am currently living in Medellin and looking for work as a teacher. I have learned that the best time to look for work is late October through mid-November because that is when schools are hiring. If you want a work visa, the earlier you start looking the better because the well-established schools, like Colombo Americano, do all the work-visa processing before you start teaching so they need to choose foreign teachers in November in order to have them ready to teach in mid-January. If places still need people by December, most people are on holiday and aren't thinking about hiring until January.

My experience has been frustrating but I have learned a lot. I am starting Monday at a small English school that doesn't pay well but it is something to get me start and the hours aren't bad and classes are small. I am still looking at other language institutes in hopes of finding something with better pay. I also have ads on Couch Surfing and another website for private lessons and have had a couple so far.

I would love to hear how things are going for you and offer more info/advice if you are interested.
Hasan84

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just wondering what happened? Did you manage to get a job?
I'm arriving in Medellin in about a month... any advice?
I think it might be tough for me to get a job from the sound of things. I'm British and have a CELTA + Eng. Lit. degree... what do you reckon my chances are?
mlawson1776

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hasan,

Yes, I eventually found a job but it hasn't been easy. I have been working since the end of January for a small language institute called Paragon. I do not recommend it. In fact as soon as I quit in a couple weeks I am going to let as many people know on these forums as possible how terrible they are. They offered me one schedule and ended up with a totally different schedule. The owner is really shady and lies all the time. They only care about money so they put students in classes that are already half-way through a level instead of having them wait until the next class starts at the beginning of that level. They never pay on time and I just waited 3 weeks to get paid and then they gave me a check that I couldn't cash because I don't have an account in Colombia. Then it took 2 more days to get cash from them. Anyway, don't work there.
I also have a few private clients which help a lot. The money is much better but they are not always reliable because they are usually busy people. I also just started teaching online for Open English and English First and I like it overall. The money is better than what I get at the institute but not as good as my private lessons and it is fairly easy and fun. You can do it from anywhere. I plan to teach online until I can get a job in a private school or university. If I don't get a work visa by the end of June, I have to leave the country, so I will probably just teach online somewhere else and apply to the big schools in Colombia and other countries.
May might actually be a good time to come because I think some of the bigger schools will start looking for teachers in May and June for the fall. So that might actually be perfect.
Anyway, I hope that helps. I will still be here in a month so message me when you get here and I would be glad to help you out with anything. And let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime.
I hope this was helpful and good luck in your transition to Medellin.
Mary
Hasan84

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mary,

You've been very helpful, thank you... Your current school doesn't sound too good but from my experience there are lots of schools like that. I had similar problems in Vietnam a few years ago. I'm quite low on money so I'd like to get a job straight away if possible, which means that despite what you've said about Paragon, I might have to go there and see if I could get your job once you leave Laughing ... although I'd rather not from what you said.

I like the sounds of the online teaching so I'll check that out, but I think the most promising thing you said is that the big schools will be hiring for the fall. What are the big schools if you don't mind posting? I understand that you might want to keep that to yourself as you'll be applying and there will inevitably be competition.

My plan is to hopefully find a job but if I don't I'll have to return to England and then I'll come back around October. I've been in Bolivia a year so going home would be fun (for a while), plus I've only just finished my degree and anticipate problems getting a work visa since I won't have my certificates until about September (and ideally I'd like to get authenticity stamps from the British government).

Anyway, I'm sure everything will work out and if not I'll be returning in October. Medellin looks really nice and from what I've read and heard off people, I think it could be the place for me.

Thanks again Mary... I may well have more questions so thanks in advance.

Hasan Smile
Utica2008

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I am bumping this thread as I have recently moved to Medellin and am about to start looking for work.

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about specific institutes who might be currently hiring. I have a work visa which is technically tied to an institute in Cali but I still think I can work legally for an institute here. Also, I believe it is much easier to transfer a visa than it is to get a new one.

Thanks,
Donal
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Best options for Medellin Reply with quote

I am a Celta qualified teacher from Canada with 12 years of experience. Have taught in Canada, Bogota, Istanbul and Afghanistan.

I'm also a Journalism graduate with 20 years of experience.

I was wondering which are the best institutions to approach and what to expect in terms of money?

I will visit in Sept. for a week, however, I plan to return and work in late October.

Thanks,
Dudeteacher
spanglish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the comments about working in Medellin. I assure you that you will not find a sustainable job there as an ESL teacher (let me know if you do though). The only good jobs I have heard of as a teacher in Medellin are in the top international schools (Marymount is one of them). I've also heard that the British Council is expanding into Medellin, which could also be a good opportunity. I suspect though that they will only be offering hourly, part time contracts.

In any event you'll need a lot more than a week to find any kind of job. Medellin is a great place to live and visit, but not a good place to work as a teacher.
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanglish wrote:
Take a look at the comments about working in Medellin. I assure you that you will not find a sustainable job there as an ESL teacher (let me know if you do though). The only good jobs I have heard of as a teacher in Medellin are in the top international schools (Marymount is one of them). I've also heard that the British Council is expanding into Medellin, which could also be a good opportunity. I suspect though that they will only be offering hourly, part time contracts.

In any event you'll need a lot more than a week to find any kind of job. Medellin is a great place to live and visit, but not a good place to work as a teacher.

I've taken a look at some comments, sadly a bit outdated.

I am thinking of going one of two ways:
(i) Work for a Uni and and teach privates on the side.
(ii) Work for a language school and hopefully get sufficient hours at a good rate. (Not interested in private schools for the moment).

My question is how many hours can I expect from a good Lang. school and what is the rate per hour for a very qualified native speaker with a CELTA.

Thanks,
Dude
spanglish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The British Council pays 50k/hour. You might get 20k/hour or so from an institute.
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanglish wrote:
The British Council pays 50k/hour. You might get 20k/hour or so from an institute.

Thanks.

Don't you have to be a Brit. citizen to work a the BC?

Dude
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dudeteacher wrote:
spanglish wrote:

Thanks.

Dude

Nope, check their site, they don't discriminate.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
dudeteacher wrote:
spanglish wrote:

Thanks.

Dude

Nope, check their site, they don't discriminate.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm fairly certain that the BC in Colombia does, in fact, discriminate. I believe their job postings for Colombia list a specific requirement that you must be from either the UK or one of the Commonwealth countries. Spanglish would have more specific info on this...or of course you could just check any of the BC Colombia job postings whenever they're up.
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest Colombia job posting for the BC specified that they would only hire UK teachers. That was new and I know that they currently have teachers of several other nationalities working there. Perhaps they want to only hire UK teachers from now into the future or perhaps they only want UK teachers for expat contracts.

In some countries teachers of various nationalities can work for them, in other countries only UK teachers can. I suspect that in any event the British Council would prefer UK teachers, but do not know that for a fact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: