Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Much Appreciated

View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelTee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Help Much Appreciated Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Samuel and I live in London. My girlfriend has decided that she would love to experience another European country and has been offered an Au Pair opportunity for a year in Rome which she has taken up, starting in November. I am dying to get myself out there with her as we've been living together and don't want to be at such a distance from her. I've thought that I'd quite like to take up English teaching and have been advised on taking the first steps of doing a CELTA course, which I can start in a few weeks. I've looked at a number of job sites for Rome and the English Teaching jobs that are available seem to ask for at least 6 months experience, which I do not have time to get if I want to be out there sooner rather than later. Would I be able to find myself a teaching job that will support me or is it best to try for another job?

Any info or thoughts you can give me would be much appreciated..

Thanks...
Shroob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, most jobs in Europe are found 'on the ground'. So there may be a lack of jobs you are suitable online, but once you get there the situation may be different. That said, I'm far from an expert on the European job sector. With regards to finding other work, that depends on your background and work experience/qualifications.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - Shroob is right. Most jobs are found on the ground.

You're also right in that most jobs require previous experience, but it's never that cut and dried here. You might find that some places don't mind and have a high turnover of teachers (try Wall Street, Inlingua, Berlitz etc) or that some places will overlook lack of teaching experience and see instead other experience (i.e. real-world business experience). Or some might see you as a good stop-gap for a teacher who's just left.

But bear in mind that you're coming at a time when most schools will have hired their teachers. You'll probably need to work at quite a few places to make up your hours - and you'll probably be spending a lot of time travelling around from place to place.
samuelTee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys for the replies, I'm thinking that I will stay in London for a while longer and earn enough money to take a chance out there and support myself while I look for work 'on the ground' as you say. Is it still a good idea to acquire a CELTA certificate?

Cheers..
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, yes. It might make all the difference!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: