Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saving money in Chile
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
derekchile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santiago is not cheap but if you might be able to make some decent money. I lived in Santiago in an apartment and was paying 150,000 pesos a month and I was making 850,000 pesos a month. However my apartment was hardly furnished and my kitchen had no oven just a stove top...but you can find places to live much cheaper than 650,000 to 700,000 that is heck of a lot to be paying for rent...I guess if you want to live in the middle of providencia or Los Condes but there are other places to live...

Now I live in Valparaiso, a place where it is really hard to save money. Life is cheap but no one wants to pay anything, the going rate at institutes is 6,000 for an hour and half and 6,000 for the hour at the private universities (DuocUC, Santo Tomas, Inacap). Rent here is around 80,000 pesos to 150,000...If you are luckey you could make 500,000 a month but this usually involves working at a few different places.

It sounds like you have a good resume, try and apply directly to universities, in Chile you only need a masters to work in the universities and not a phd.

I love Chile, I have been here now for three years. Its a different life than the states. My advice is too work in many places, never depend on just one job. Always make sure about your contracts and be aggressive about your labor rights because a lot of bosses down here can really push you around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: