Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Elementary in Latin America?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but all the tax dollars were pumped into Wall St, so follow the money!
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Yeah but all the tax dollars were pumped into Wall St, so follow the money!

Yeah, but don't stop there! Keep going! You can follow the money all the way back to Washington!

Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comrade, we may have to divide our forces and stage a simul-occupatia!
fladude

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:

I completely agree with you though. Any ideas what to do? Giving up US cit to get out of taxes is illegal . . .

That's not true. You can give up citizenship to get out of taxes. You just can't do it if you currently owe taxes. Expecting to owe taxes in the future does not count.

I should also add that the US decision to withhold passports and prevent changes in citizenship violates the UN Bill of Rights.

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

Article 13.

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
(2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

Article 15.

(1) Everyone has the right to a nationality.
(2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality

Not that the US cares, as it only respects the UN when oil money is at stake.

Personally I am fed up with the US and don't care about its laws anymore. If they want to send out teams to track me down and drag me back, go for it. Otherwise they can forget about it, just like I am doing to them. I am not going to file anymore taxes, nor worry about it in any way.

Last edited by fladude on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Fladude

You are probably right, but there is a correction needed to your above post -the quotation. It looks like I made the quoted statement, whereas it was another.
fladude

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Dear Fladude

You are probably right, but there is a correction needed to your above post -the quotation. It looks like I made the quoted statement, whereas it was another.

Yeah I fixed it. I am not sure why it did that.
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:
MotherF wrote:
To the OP you could get hired at a second or third tier bilingual private K-12 school in Mexico as you are. What I don't know is if that experience will help you move into a top tier bilingual or all English private school.

@littlelauren86:

OP, I see you haven't returned since this thread was derailed--"Teaching Elementary in Latin America" hasn't been the topic for some time now. Did you have other questions or concerns you wanted to bring up? You can still ask here, or, (what might make more sense) edit the title of this thread to something like "Taxes for Americans," and start a brand new thread with your questions.

One way or the other, perhaps you would bring us up to date on your progress?

Whoops, I just came back and had no idea that the thread blew up like this -- I just received a couple of replies from Naturegirl and I figured that would have been it.

Anyway, how would I be able to find and apply to these bilingual schools in Mexico or elsewhere?

As for my story, I'm currently on a contract in Korea, and I'm considering going to Latin America to teach while completing a mostly online teacher certification program.

The thing is, I'm interested in teaching children until I get certified. I'm looking to get certified in elementary K-6.
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

globalcitizen1968 wrote:
You don't need to get certified in the states to teach at a private catholic elementary school in Mexico City. There are places in the states where you can START getting 46,000 dollars a year once you're certified so why go to another country where you won't get anything NEAR that?? Try the middle east or asia. You'll get more money and respect as a teacher there than you will ANYWHERE in Latin America.

Good luck.

While it's wonderful to hear about these great jobs in the states, where I'm from, there simply aren't any. That said, I'm not particularly interested in teaching all those bad kids in the states Laughing

I'm currently in Asia, and while the pay is good I absolutely hate it here and I'm definitely not looking to return.

It's not what all it's cracked up to be. I like my job and the kids and coworkers are wonderful (many people cannot say this), but my personal life is terrible and I'm miserable. Nearly all locals just want to use me for free English lessons and on top of that I have to deal with all the xenophobia and racism. And of course, the mostly white expats tell you to get over it. Every guy I date chews me up and spits me out again. I've found very few genuine expats/local friends here. And those good people come and go. The money is *not* worth it when the rest of your life is being drained out of you. However, I will guarantee that if you are a white male, your experience would be much better than mine as a woman of color.

On the other hand, when I was in SA (Argentina) for 1 year studying, my life was wonderful and I met lots of friendly and genuine locals and expats. On top of that, I speak the language and was very interested in the culture. I met friends that I still talk to today. And I was very broke when I was there. I can't say that about my Asian experience.

My point is, I want the kind of job I have now, just in a better location.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nearly all locals just want to use me for free English lessons

Seems to be a common complaint everywhere. Here's a bit of levity addressing the issue. Very Happy

http://www.fluentin3months.com/battle/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+fluentin3months+%28Fluent+in+3+months%29

Quote:
On the other hand, when I was in SA (Argentina) for 1 year studying, my life was wonderful and I met lots of friendly and genuine locals and expats. On top of that, I speak the language and was very interested in the culture. I met friends that I still talk to today. And I was very broke when I was there. I can't say that about my Asian experience.

My point is, I want the kind of job I have now, just in a better location.

Broadly speaking, one comes to Latin America for the lifestyle and experience, and not the money. Asia seems to offer the opposite. Exceptions abound of course.

If you want to have the best of both worlds, you'll have to pick a spot and stay there awhile, building a network and upgrading your education. Opportunity is there but it takes a lot of work in many Latin American locations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlelauren86 wrote:

Anyway, how would I be able to find and apply to these bilingual schools in Mexico or elsewhere?

As for my story, I'm currently on a contract in Korea, and I'm considering going to Latin America to teach while completing a mostly online teacher certification program.

The thing is, I'm interested in teaching children until I get certified. I'm looking to get certified in elementary K-6.

There are several threads on the Mexico forum that might be useful to you. This one is a bit old, but includes a partial list for Mexico City.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=33537

I would post this specific question (above in bold) on the Mexico forum, where there are a number of experienced, friendly, and very helpful members. I had a link for a directory for South American countries, but seem to have lost it during my hard drive crash. A Uruguay link posted earlier in this thread should help find bilingual schools there, if that country interests you.

Disclaimer: It has been several years since I have lived in Latin America, where my work experience was limited to volunteering, so I am not the best source of information for you.

Last edited by AGoodStory on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband mentioned a job possiblity for him in an attractive central Mexican city. Just out of curiosity as a parent I googled the city name and colegios (which are private multi-level schools) and I got a directory of private schools many of which had international in their name and others had names like Thomas Jefferson. That doesn't mean those places hire foreign teachers, but it would be a good first step.

http://www.directory.schools.com.mx/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: