Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do qualifications and experience count?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainthood

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Do qualifications and experience count? Reply with quote

Hey there all in Cz land!

I'm in my third year of university teaching in China, I've just finished my first M.App.Ling, and about to start up on my M.Ed. (TESOL), and have a CELTA under my belt. I'm also about to become an IELTS examiner. And, experience-wise, I've been doing academic English, BEC and IELTS preparation.

Given all those TEFL courses in the big cities over there, what chance does this Australian really have of scoring a decent job? (preferably in a good university)
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got similar quals to yours, except for also over a decade teaching European students. The job market in the Czech Republic doesn't reward higher-level quals and experience, sadly.

University teachers (and health care workers) are stuck on a pay scale far below what most expats would consider 'decent.' In fact, CELTA and equivalent qualified teachers at private language schools can often make more money on a monthly basis.

This is true for the entire Central/Eastern European region.

The only way I know of to get 'better' jobs in this region is basically to pay some dues - go over, teach at a private school for a year, make local contacts, build a local rep. Aim for direct work at corporations (cutting out the middleman - this isn't common, but is occasionally done), or go for teacher training positions, or get in at an actual international school (very rare openings, but on occasion they do hire).

Another bit of bad news: your experience in China may not give you much of a lead over newbies in this region, as European students are presumed to have very different motivations and expectations in the classroom.

For the record: I started out in EFL in Prague in 1998, have a Czech spouse, and am in the country for roughly half of each year (we have a flat there). I've got quite a few friends and contacts in the region. I can't afford to work there full-time, as much as I would love to Sad
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
International schools will probably be a better way to go with all of your experience, and they will pay better.

Unfortunately, most international schools want applicants with certification to teach core subjects to K-12 students (or some range therein) in their home countries, and with a couple of years of experience doing so. The OP in this case is seeking university work, and with an MA rather than teaching certification, isn't particularly well-set to compete for most international school positions. Job openings in the international school systems in the region are fairly rare, as well.

Again, I'm in exactly the same boat as the OP, and do keep my eyes open for viable positions in the Czech Rep.

As an aside, it might also be useful to point out that not every school that is called an 'international school' really is what most people think of in terms of offering decent pay for good qualifications and experience. I interveiwed at an 'international school' in Southern Bohemia a couple of years ago where, for my MA + over a decade of experience, I was offered 22,000kc gross monthly (an increase over their standard offer of 18,000); this was in line with what all the other teachers there were making.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: