Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peru long-term

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CelesteCielos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Peru long-term Reply with quote

Dear Readers of this topic,
My house just sold (YAY!!) and I'm moving SOMEWHERE in SA on or near November 1st. I'm moving with a husband, 11 year old daughter, and a dog so I'm looking to move to a place I could see myself raising our family in for at least the next 3-5 yrs. We are a stable, close-knit family and, although craving some adventure, don't wish to live as gypsies.
My husband recently got an ESL online certification just for kicks, but he has never taught a day in his life. He works online as a salesman for a company here in our US state. I don't have any teaching certifications, but have had both paid and volunteer teaching experience for over a decade. Niether of us have college degrees. We all speak conversational Spanish.
We lived in Ecuador for a short stint and would love to move back but the red tape of Visas is becoming harder and harder. I could get the 12-IX visas that gets us 6 whole months to live there, but if we can't find teaching jobs, then what??!! We're out of the country and homeless!!
I've done lots of research on Piura, Peru and could envision us there because it's a big enough city to have all we require, yet still have the feel of a small town. And with the extensions/border hops, it seems that would buy us more than 6 months to find a job. But like I mentioned at the outset, we wish to live somewhere for YEARS, not months. If we are stuck working illegally, won't officials get wise to us after about 3 different entry stamps in our passports?? Especially with a kid and her dog!! Do you know anyone who's border-hopped for 10 years??
Realistically, I assume no one is going to give us a Visa with our lack of credentials. But yet if we are hired and they offer a visa...a tourist visa can't be changed to a work visa or ANY visa, right? So, screwed either way it looks like, right? So here are my main questions:
1) How can we live in Peru many years without ending up deported?
2) Can a tourist visa be changed into ANY other visa?
3) Are we considered working illegally if my husband works online and gets paid by his American company?
4) Can we use his job as means to gain some type of Visa? (we are not over age 60)

Please help. I want to buy plane tickets!! Razz
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visas are going to be a major concern. Have you looked at expatperu.com and livinginperu.com?

Most institutes will NOT get you a visa. So you're going to have to work for a shcool or uni.

EFL online certs are ok, though they're online and they won't replace the need for a BA. Hope the cert has at least 120 hours as well.

Without a college degree, things are going to be hard for you.

You can live there illegally, I mean, just overstay your visa. It's $1 a day. Or you could border hop. YOu get 183 days. I know peopel who have lived in Peru for over 5 years on a tourist visa. They're not that strict. As for border hopping for 10 years or with a family, realise that you are risking something, even though it's just a small risk. HAve you thought about opening a business? You'd need 25K and if you sold your house, you should have that.

If you really wish to live in Piura Peru for years, I'd look into living there legally.

You can change tourist visas, not an issue.

1) How can we live in Peru many years without ending up deported?
Never leave. Just stay there and when you leave pay the $1 a day fine.

2) Can a tourist visa be changed into ANY other visa?
Yep

3) Are we considered working illegally if my husband works online and gets paid by his American company?
In theory, IF you have a resident visa in Peru you're supposed to pay taxes on your global income. You'd be avoiding taxes, but not working illegally.

4) Can we use his job as means to gain some type of Visa? (we are not over age 60)
Maybe, if he could get transferred there. I think an investment visa would be the best way to go
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: