Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching 'business english' in Columbia and Argentina

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nellytraveller

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Teaching 'business english' in Columbia and Argentina Reply with quote

hi folks,

Im looking to find out the nature of teaching business english in Columbia, Argentina and South America generally. I have a business degree and several years experience in the financial planning/ banking industry

-I had heard that it is a better paid than just teaching regular english (for example at an elementary school), but also harder to come by, is this the case? Is it decently remunerated? Can one afford to live off the salary? (all i really care about)

-Does the employment consist of contracts? how long are they? i'd like to travel for between 3-6 months

-I am also unsure where to start applying, as there does not appear to be much in the way of advertisements for it.

-also how safe would you honestly rate columbia?

-Anyone who has any information whatsoever I would love to hear some commentary

Cheers in advance,
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't want to be "that guy" but :
Quote:

Teaching 'business english' in Columbia and Argentina

Quote:
-also how safe would you honestly rate columbia?

Crying or Very sad

It's just one of those things unfortunately Confused

Anyway, I think Colombia's a better bet than Argentina. Though if you have plenty of money to blow, Argentina's a nice place. It's just iffy about whether you'll break even.

I haven't been to Colombia yet, but both countries have their safety issues. You can get robbed, pick-pocketed, etc. in both places. I'm not sure which is "worse" though. I can tell you that people have tried to pick pocket me at least three different times when I was in Buenos Aires. They were never successful though because I never kept anything valuable easily accessible. And I'd met countless travelers who were robbed (I used to work with travelers there). Also saw a woman in a "safe" area get thrown on the ground and robbed in the middle of the afternoon in a relatively busy place. So ... yeah.

In any case, they rarely hire abroad unless it is for a school. Get your trusty resume, fly over there, get a phone number, and knock on some doors.

Most people pass through or don't stay long. So institutes generally aren't big on contracts, although some do have a contract. But for the most part, there's a high turnover of English teachers.
spanglish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were misinformed. Teaching business English would tend to be through a for-profit institute and an entry level teaching job at the bottom of the totem pole. Teaching elementary should generally pay more (or a lot more) than institute work. Top-end jobs include real international school foreign hires, the best universities and the British Council.
nellytraveller

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys thanks for that ill have a look into your suggestions, cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: