Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online Certification w/ Volunteer Work or Onsite Abroad??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tstlouis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Online Certification w/ Volunteer Work or Onsite Abroad?? Reply with quote

I am currently in the pre-planning stage and was hoping to get some advice about some options I am considering.

First a little about myself- I am a 21 year old female from the U.S. I am currently in my second-ish year of college (I transferred to another university and lost credits along the way). In between my years at college I lived in Egypt for one year. As a result I'd say I can adapt to other cultures pretty easily. I'm currently pursuing a degree in International Business & Marketing. But... my heart just isn't in it. I would really like to teach. However, teachers are getting laid-off every year so it's pretty hard to get a job. Hence, I find myself at eslcafe.com Wink

I wanted to get some advice about the following TESOL/CERTA paths I'm considering. Any other advice is more than welcome.

1- TESOL or CERTA? Is one preferred over the other?

2- What's your opinion on getting certified online and then getting classroom experience here in the US (i.e volunteering)? I know most reputable institutions abroad require 120 hr course with at least 6 hrs of observed teaching. Could volunteering be a valid replacement for the in-course observations?

3- If I were to get certified abroad, which country would be the best investment? Where am I more likely to find a job that would make it all worth it? (I know I may have to work at a few schools since I will be entry level- that's fine). I'd rather not go to Mexico. Nothing against it. Just been there, done that (and loved it). Right now I'm looking at Peru, Chile, and Colombia. My requirements for a country are a) Political Stability (one revolution was enough for me- I cannot take another country virtually shutting down on me Laughing ) b) Good Medical system c) I can't drive so a good transportation system is a must if I'll be traveling to lessons d) A biker friendly place would be nice

Also- I posted in the LA forum because I thought it would be my best bet with my (lack of) credentials and EU Citizenship. But if there are any other countries I should look at feel free to mention it. I speak Spanish. Fluently in the present tense, a little rough in the other tenses LOL. I also speak a little Farsi (Persian), Arabic, and French (I would say those language skills are O.K)

A huge THANKS for helping me!!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOu got a lot of answers on the general forum, so here's just a bit more info.

First, if you want to be a teacher-teacher, in a school, you'll need to get a teaching license. For the most part. Some places, like Search Associates take applicants without a license. YOu'll ahve to decide if you like teachin gkids though. Some do, some don't. HAving worked in an intl school, I'm MUCH happier at a uni.

Online certs are (usually) not as good as on-site ones. Even if they're coupled iwth volunteer experience. A cert has a teacher trainer who gives feedback, volunteering usually doesn't.

As for countries, good places to start are often those in Asia as far as money goes: Japan, Korea, Taiwan, China.

I lived in Peru for 6 very long years and would be more than happy to tell you everything you want to know about working there. Havea also sent you a PM.

DO you require a visa? Or are you willing to work under the table? It's hard to get a visa for Peru.

Political stablity? You know about Ollanta in Peru, right? Medical, sure, if you can afford private health care on $600 bucks a month. Biker friendly Rolling Eyes Peru? please, it's a nightmare. Traffic in India is better. Good transport system, nope, nothing doing. Google combis. Just to give you an idea, I would spend 3 to 4 hours a day in public transport and that's not becuase I had far to travel, it's because it's a complete disaster. Anyways, that's just me. Some people like Peru. Me? Leaving was the best decision I made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: