Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Certified in professional development
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Middle East Beast

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
it has not really been taken to a nasty or personal level.

Really? "Super Rat?" "Chipmunk nuts?"

No skin off my nose, but objectively, that's a personal attack.

BTW, it should be "Squirrel Nuts." Someone should look into a Certificate in Rodent Recognition. Smile

MEB Cool
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear MEB,

"Really? "Super Rat?" "Chipmunk nuts?"

No skin off my nose, but objectively, that's a personal attack."

Good Lord - I had no idea your icon was a photo of you. Very Happy

Regards,
John
usa_in_gulf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People, who complain about PD, think they �don�t need it�, and think it�s a waste of time are typically the ones who need it the most.
helenl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry UIG but I've been subjected to such dire PD in order that the higher ups count "bums on seats" not that the PD was relevant or, if it was, that the higher ups had no intention of giving the bums on seats time/resources to implement the PD. Sure, I do want to learn new methods/technoligies etc as much as the next person - NO I am not willing to sacrifice my lesson planning/prep and marking time as a result. If you can find an MBA who is willing to bring along a newbie for no pay but 8 - 16 hours extra a week on wall street or in the city in London - more power to you.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear usa_in_gulf,

Can it be assumed, then, that you think you really need it? Heleni just beat me to what I was going to write next. Very Happy

I've actually attended some very good PD sessions - voluntary ones here in the States. However, none of the compulsory attendance sessions I ever attended during my nineteen years in the Kingdom developed me professionally. I did that voluntarily - on my own. And these days, with the Internet and all the possibilities for PD that are available:

Google Search: "free online ESL EFL teacher professional development"

About 508,000 results

Google Search: "free online ESL teacher professional development"

About 4,540,000 results

that may even be the best way - for some, at any rate.

Regards,
John
Middle East Beast

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usa_in_gulf wrote:
People, who complain about PD, think they �don�t need it�, and think it�s a waste of time are typically the ones who need it the most.

That is a premise that cannot be proven and thus has no credibility. What it is, is an unwarranted conclusion you have made regarding teachers who don't follow your support for formal PD. I'm sure you have no idea regarding which teachers "need" (define, please) PD--unless, of course, you have been chosen by The Oracle as The One. By stating this you are concluding that I need PD--and you don't even know me. I don't appreciate that.

So, allow me to present another premise. We are typically the ones who recognize window dressing and ego massaging when we see it. Furthermore, we are the ones who would rather take an hour to plan a solid lesson for our students than sit in a PD session being force-fed mindless dribble.

I'm there for the students, not to stroke some PD presenter's ego.

Also, one teacher's Best Practice can be another teacher's poison. I'll state it again--there is a stench associated with unsolicited "guidance" or advice. That's why formal PD should be optional (as others have stated on this thread as well)--if I want guidance or advice, I'll make that decision, thank you very much.

And no, the stench is not emanating from me--my fur's clean and shiny as evidenced by my fluffy tail! That's right, John...it's me! Very Happy

How many approaches and techniques have been marketed as The Best over the course of the last 50 years?

MEB Cool
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle East Beast wrote:
veiledsentiments wrote:
it has not really been taken to a nasty or personal level.

Really? "Super Rat?" "Chipmunk nuts?"

No skin off my nose, but objectively, that's a personal attack.

BTW, it should be "Squirrel Nuts." Someone should look into a Certificate in Rodent Recognition. Smile

MEB Cool

I always thought squirrels were tough little critters... I didn't think you had such a fragile ego that "chipmunk nuts" would hurt your feelings. Laughing I quite loved it as you know and PMed you that you should immediately email Dave to change it or more correctly "squirrel nuts" to be your new screen name.

As board insults go, that one was just too cute.

VS
Middle East Beast

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

I always thought squirrels were tough little critters... I didn't think you had such a fragile ego that "chipmunk nuts" would hurt your feelings. Laughing

We are tough...you think it's easy sharing trees with those messy, noisy birds?? Rolling Eyes

Besides, as you can tell from my photo, I'm not just any squirrel, you know. But even superheroes have feelings. Just ask my cousin Mighty Mouse.

Calling me a chipmunk is like calling a human a chimpanzee...it's abominable! And as for calling me a rat? Well, let's just not go there. Laughing

Quote:
I quite loved it as you know and PMed you that you should immediately email Dave to change it or more correctly "squirrel nuts" to be your new screen name.

How 'bout it, Dave?

MEB (perhaps soon to become SN) Cool
Geronimo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
http://www.leedsmet.ac.uk/090505-36477_PeerObsTeaching_LoRes.pdf

Thanks desertdawg for this link to some very sensible and useful material!

Geronimo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: