Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American University in Cairo
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cairoteach

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I wouldn't come here with a family now unless the offer included good housing and good school allowances (if needed). Also, ask about insurance/coverage for evacuation. Even then, I'd do it only if I had no other employment options. Perhaps in a few years things may be calmer.

I think the expat families who are best handling the anxiety of the current situation, are the ones that have been here for over five or so years.

Best of luck.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AUC has always offered very good housing and all other benefits.

But the events of the last couple days are very alarming. Bringing a family is seeming more risky.

VS
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
AUC has always offered very good housing and all other benefits.

But the events of the last couple days are very alarming. Bringing a family is seeming more risky.

VS

I agree.

There were anti-Christian riots. Some people were crushed to death.

Egypt is dangerous and unstable.

Just my veiled sentiments...

CF
sahara musafir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the comments, especially from people in Cairo and people in contact with friends in Cairo. From what I've read, we would have the option of living in a place called El Rehab with our kids going to school there also. I have Egyptian friends where I am working now who came back from their summer holidays telling me all is well, but they are locals, not expats. They are also very alarmed by the recent events there and may be changing their advice to me soon. Any job offer I may receive won't come until the early spring and by then it will be clearer which direction things are heading in Egypt. I think I will apply for the job and then continue to monitor the situation for the next several months.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The elections coming up soon may or may not help stabilize things. El Rehab is far from the areas of unrest, but... time will tell.

VS
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
The elections coming up soon may or may not help stabilize things. El Rehab is far from the areas of unrest, but... time will tell.

VS

The elections will not stabilize things. Too many competing interests.

CF
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are various levels of instability in many of the countries we TEFL gypsies teach in... and often it has little effect on us. AUC is well known for taking care of its people, and they would be the best source when the time comes for our OP to make his decision.

VS
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the instability has gotten worse (especially, in the Middle East).

AUC may not be able handle such instability and protect its employees.

ESL teachers must protect themselves.

CF
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at applying to the AUC. Does anyone know what the salary and benefit package is?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very competitive getting a job there... or was before the current "situation." At the moment, I don't think I would venture in there with a new baby. Perhaps in a year or two when we see things how shake out. (if I recall correctly, that is the time that you are looking at? it is a "watch this space" situation)

The pay/benefit package is competitive to the Gulf pay with a good CV and experience. They direct deposit the dollar part of your pay in your US account and you get the Egyptian Pound pay in a local account for local expenses. Good furnished housing provided. One extra benefit for Americans is that you get an actual W-2 and SS is deducted/paid for you.

VS
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
It is very competitive getting a job there... or was before the current "situation." At the moment, I don't think I would venture in there with a new baby. Perhaps in a year or two when we see things how shake out. (if I recall correctly, that is the time that you are looking at? it is a "watch this space" situation)

The pay/benefit package is competitive to the Gulf pay with a good CV and experience. They direct deposit the dollar part of your pay in your US account and you get the Egyptian Pound pay in a local account for local expenses. Good furnished housing provided. One extra benefit for Americans is that you get an actual W-2 and SS is deducted/paid for you.

VS

Yes, just trying to gather info at the moment. Plan was to stay for five years here, though looks like I'll be pushed out of my job next year since I was pregnant this year.

Dual salary is nice as well as housing. Would be nice to get a W2 as well.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
brownj1594

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: auc Reply with quote

Could either one of you who have received the AUC fellowship tell me what kind of experience you had when applying? Degree title, certifications, where you taught and for how long? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm applying the the masters program in tefl for AUC and i just want an idea of how much experience i need to be eligible for the fellowship.

Thanks,
Jaime
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe that their current requirements are listed on the website. But, the reality is that it all depends on who applies at the same time with you. They take those that are the closest to what they want.

Most of those chosen seemed to be older... in my year, most of us Americans were over 35 or so. I was the least experienced. Most of them had been teaching EFL overseas for years. I had a BSc in Secondary ED (English/Business) that was nearly 15 years old when I applied and I had never taught since my two months required practice teaching. I had been volunteering at the neighborhood Adult Ed center in an ESL class for less than a year, but that was it.

I was actually the first alternate. But, after talking with every AUC person that I could find at TESOL that year in NYC, they decided to add me as an extra Fellow. Cool

VS
brownj1594

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply! I'm pretty young, and just starting out. I know I have a ways to go, but I'm pretty driven and don't mind putting in the long and tedious work to reach my goals. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: