Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Celta training in Cairo where to stay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pandasmile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Celta training in Cairo where to stay Reply with quote

HI Folks

I am hoping to do my CELTA training in Cairo early next year. Does anyone know of some place nearby which won't cost the earth but is really a decent standard. Hotel or B&B is fine, rather not a hostel as I will have to study a lot.

Thanks for any help
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to raise one of our posters who did the program not too long ago. It may even have been discussed here before if you search around a bit.

VS
nstick13

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quoting myself:

I may find a link and start a new thread asking to be stickied about this, but if you're going to Egypt for ESL, get on the Cairo Scholars Listserv via the University of Texas. Last I knew (a couple months ago) there were some 2,500 people who were from abroad or Egyptians who had traveled abroad. It was the second best resource I had in Cairo--the other being my English-speaking Egyptian roommate.

This will help so so so so much with housing.

Do some Googling.

/quote

I've probably written that on at least 3 other threads on this first page. Finding a month-long sublet will likely be more enjoyable for you than a hotel, but to each their own.

The Mayfair Hotel in Zamalek would be about a 20 minute walk and doesn't cost the earth. Isn't as cheap as the hostels you can get.

Really, though, for the price and comfort you can definitely find a room in an apartment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elrasho

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been actively looking for an apartment through the Texas Cairo list, Facebook Cairo Scholars group and tons of other forums and still haven't found anything.

I've been on craiglist for Egypt and see some apartments, but they are all too expensive or cheap requiring long term stay only. I'm only going to be in Cairo for the month during my CELTA, after that I intend to stick around but if I don't find work that can sustain a simple lifestyle in Cairo I will have to leave.

From what I have read the best way is to go a week before the course starts and just ask around.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elrasho wrote:
From what I have read the best way is to go a week before the course starts and just ask around.

Exactly!!

VS
AsmaInEgypt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about just coming earlier to look around - not only because trying to book something from abroad will be more expensive, but also because you need to be in a flexible mindset about where you'll be living, and should be ready to move again even if you booked in advance. You might book something (like a short-term rental) that is dirty or in a more inconvenient location than you realized - no standards are really guaranteed. So by coming and actually checking out what's available, whether by asking the bawwab (doorman) of the apartments in the area or asking around to see if anyone knows a simsar (real estate broker) who manages several properties, you'll be able to see the places before committing yourself and can negotiate the price. Just don't seem desperate to move in quickly - make it seem like you're finding a lot of places and are trying to compare them so that they will make more of an effort to accomodate your requests for detailed cleaning, a lower price, etc.
barbiebedia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Cairo Reply with quote

we are planning to go Cairo in this summer.
I googled lots of not so expensive hotels, but I can't choose.

Do you know this places? if yes, pls tell me your + and - experiences!

Luna&Bella Luna Hostel
Pyramids Inn Motel
Pharaohs Palace Hostel
Arabia Hotel
Monte Cairo Suites

thanks!
Barbara
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this isn't a travel website, you would probably be better off asking these questions on another board. I recommend Lonely Planet Thorntree discussion board. More budget travelers there who may have experience with these hotels.

Also with death of tourism there at the moment, some of these places may not even be open.

VS
OzMak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has applied to sit the CELTA program later in the year in Agouza I believe, May-June intake? If so, has anyone heard from them regarding the program, its been about a month or so and i'm still waiting on news. They did mention they are going through a backlog of applications when I registered. Any info would be great, cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: