Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

eleccion 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:
BadBeagleBad wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:
Don't high-ranking positions in the Mexican government have to be filled by um.. Mexicans?

Quote:
On Thursday, Mexican presidential front-runner Enrique Pena Nieto said Naranjo has agreed to serve as his adviser on fighting drug trafficking if Pena Nieto wins the July 1 election.

The candidate has pledged to reduce violent crime affecting ordinary people in Mexico's drug war, a contrast to President Felipe Calderon's strategy of going after drug kingpins. Analysts have said Pena Nieto's strategy could mean that drug dealers who conduct their businesses discreetly will be left alone.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2012/06/colombias-legendary-police-chief-heads.html

DL

BTW What are PRI and PAN spending for the annoying sponsored ads on Facebook Mad

Well, an advisor isn't a government position. When the wonderful Andres Manuel was major of Mexico City he hired Rudy Juliani as an advisor to help lower crime and no one seemed to mind that, since, of course, there is far less crime than there was 10 years ago.

Shocked Dave's really needs an emoticon to show choking on coffee spitting up on the keyboard whilst also having a heart attack at the same time your dog throws up all over the carpet you bought at some market in a small town where you plan to retire. Your favorite carpet, and maybe favorite dog.

There was a HUGE outcry here when the Giuliani group was brought in...HUGE. The left was screaming the loudest at that...

...and I'd question what use that advice was put to.

You're a fan of it and I've mentioned it before...broken windows theory is one of the big Giuliani theories that hasn't been applied, that I know of anyway.

The main theme he brought was to raise police pay and 'professionalize' the service...a good idea but complicated by a lot of other mess in Mexico.

I do notice that recently our delegacion moved policing to a community footing. There is now a corps of four officers with one leader that works a neighbourhood with direct outreach to property owners. It's new here so I haven't seen any immediate effect, though I don't live in an area that's much affected by crime to begin with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Phil_K

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You're a fan of it and I've mentioned it before...broken windows theory is one of the big Giuliani theories that hasn't been applied, that I know of anyway.

Report from the Euro 2012 (football) Finals in Poland/Ukraine:

"Zero tolerance policing in Krakow last night. Saw three fans uproot small fern outside cafe at 3am. Police straight in and made them re-pot it!"

Not as ridiculous as it sounds if you think it through.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weeks someone in real life asked me about the "green" party. I laughed because they are such a joke. And today a news article explaining why popped up on google Mexico news. I thought it might be of interest to those following this thread.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/20/2858848/mexicos-green-party-focuses-more.html
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Last weeks someone in real life asked me about the "green" party. I laughed because they are such a joke. And today a news article explaining why popped up on google Mexico news. I thought it might be of interest to those following this thread.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/20/2858848/mexicos-green-party-focuses-more.html

Many thanks for posting this link MotherF. I've had my doubts about the so-called Green Party ever since I found out it supports the death penalty and is allied with the PRI. It sounds as though this party is more of a family business than a political party concerned with preserving the environment.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point from that article:

"Do you know why the Greens are supporting Pe�a Nieto? Why they say they want to deliver free medicines? It's because the owners of the Greens have franchises and are in the business of medicine," L�pez Obrador said, speaking of the PRI's candidate, Enrique Pe�a Nieto.

I though that was a mistake at first as it goes on to mention various pharmacies including "Similares", which is well-know to be the business of Victor G�nzalez (Dr. Simi). A quick check on Wikipedia confirms his full name to be Victor G�nzalez Torres... and the founder of PVEM to be Jorge G�nzalez Torres.

Interesting, I never knew that! Surprised

LATER EDIT: Spanish Wikipedia confirms they are brothers.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that's the issue they really seem to be pushing with radio and TV spots.

Privitization of the health system even in a tiny part like that is not the way to go--just look to the US for an example of how well that has worked. Rolling Eyes

Last election they also wanted vales for English and computing classes for public school students. At first that might sound good to English teachers, but that idea has all kinds of problems--what language schools would give these classes? what kind of quality garuntee can the tax payers expect on their investment? There are a few language schools in my town and none are worth the price of classes. Kids would know no more English, tax payer money would be wasted, the only benefit would be to language school owners.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LA Times has had some interesting articles on the election, Here's one on Mexicans in the US that addresses their voting rights and interest in the election. Gives more food for thought on the whether or not someone should be allowed to vote in two countries. Certainly it is possible for a dual citizen to maintain close ties and interest in two countries. One can be a land owner and a tax payer two countries, so to me, if a person met the conditions each country sets out concerning who it gives the right to vote too, then there is no moral problem. (as was suggested earlier in this thread)

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-mexican-migrant-voters-20120615,0,6129444.story
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget Chuckie's mom..

The power of Mexico�s teachers union has few parallels in the world, and its chief, La Maestra � �The Teacher� � as Elba Esther Gordillo is known, wields influence far beyond the sphere of education. Indeed, her union began its own political party in 2005, the National Alliance, and it now has five deputies and four senators in Congress. Its candidate in the July 1 elections polls in fourth place. The union wields its muscle to protect teachers, not to improve education. By some estimates, it has taken 21,000 teachers out of the classroom to handle union business, organize political rallies, chauffeur union leaders and broker the buying and selling of teaching jobs.
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2012/06/16/2559779/mexicos-subpar-schools-put-shackles.html#storylink=cpy

Significantly, the PRI�s 2012 candidate, Enrique Pe�a Nieto, is the only one of those seeking the presidency who hasn�t pledged to dump Gordillo on taking office.
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2012/06/16/2559778/union-boss-elba-esther-gordillo.html#storylink=cpy

DL
BTW I have a great pic of Elba and Pe�a dancing and whispering who's plastic surgeon is better/cheaper... but can't figure out how to post it Mad
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
The LA Times has had some interesting articles on the election, Here's one on Mexicans in the US that addresses their voting rights and interest in the election. Gives more food for thought on the whether or not someone should be allowed to vote in two countries. Certainly it is possible for a dual citizen to maintain close ties and interest in two countries. One can be a land owner and a tax payer two countries, so to me, if a person met the conditions each country sets out concerning who it gives the right to vote too, then there is no moral problem. (as was suggested earlier in this thread)

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-mexican-migrant-voters-20120615,0,6129444.story

One reason for the low number: Casting a ballot from abroad requires a government-issued voter ID card, which can be obtained only inside Mexico. That effectively shuts out undocumented immigrants, who cannot freely cross the border. >>>>

This is not very true. Since this is THE ID of choice many Mexicans in the US have one, whether they are there legally or not. And based on what I have seen in Chicago and Milwaukee, there are going to be quite a lot of votes from the US. A decent article, but I am not sure if they really did their homework, based on what I am seeing.
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I imagine they did their homework in L.A. Razz

One thing I thought while reading it which wasn't addressed---can you use an expired IFE credencial to vote from abroad? While I'm willing to bet most Mexicans in the US do have one, it might not still be good if they have been in the US more than 10 years.
notamiss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
One thing I thought while reading it which wasn't addressed---can you use an expired IFE credencial to vote from abroad? While I'm willing to bet most Mexicans in the US do have one, it might not still be good if they have been in the US more than 10 years.

Good question. You certainly can�t vote within Mexico if your IFE credencial isn�t up to date. I wonder if they have taken the difficulty for US-residing Mexicans to renew it into account and made different rules for them.
Samantha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an article on the subject.
http://www.aldiatx.com/news/2012/jan/21/se-apuntan-pocos-mexicanos-voto-extranjero/

I just had to share this one:
http://www.hispanicallyspeakingnews.com/notitas-de-noticias/details/no-cuchi-cuchi-withholding-sex-to-get-the-vote-in-mexican-presidential-poli/16669/
Phil_K

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this for a bit of scandalous gossip!

(Fluent Spanish necessary)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9kmCJq1xvWw
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to vote from abroad Mexicans had to register before Jan 15th--that makes it no surprise so few actually did. Laughing

Phil I can't load the video at work, but the comments are priceless!
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Enrique Pe�a vs Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador en INGLES Reply with quote

As (I suspect) the majority of us here in the Caf� are English instructors, how important do you think it is for the president of Mexico to speak English?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2--GhXBwB7U

DL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 21 of 24

Jump to: