Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

eleccion 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Well I imagine they did their homework in L.A. Razz

One thing I thought while reading it which wasn't addressed---can you use an expired IFE credencial to vote from abroad? While I'm willing to bet most Mexicans in the US do have one, it might not still be good if they have been in the US more than 10 years.

No, it has to be current, but most Mexican do go home at some point, some every couple of years.
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:

No, it has to be current, but most Mexican do go home at some point, some every couple of years.

That's not what I've found. But maybe because the people I know live so far from the boarder. They don't come back for visits, unless they are legally in the US. The illegals, stay, until they want to come home for good. My husband's cousin has been in the US for 16 years and has never been back for a visit. My neighbor came back last summer after 5 years in the US without a trip home. People on the street stop me and tell me they lived in the US for 10, 12, 20 years. They ask how long I've been here and ask me If I've ever been back for a visit. Expecting that the answer will be no. When they learn I have visited home in the time I've been here, then it dawns on them that I'm allowed to come and go as I please, and that must be really nice.
canada_1986

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Enrique Pe�a vs Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador en INGLES Reply with quote

Dragonlady wrote:
As (I suspect) the majority of us here in the Caf� are English instructors, how important do you think it is for the president of Mexico to speak English?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2--GhXBwB7U

DL

I believe the heads of state for all major countries should be able to speak some English.

Felipe Calderon appeared on CNN's Piers Morgan Tonight once, and his English seemed rather good.
Enchilada Potosina

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Enrique Pe�a vs Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador en INGLES Reply with quote

canada_1986 wrote:
Felipe Calderon appeared on CNN's Piers Morgan Tonight once, and his English seemed rather good.

Of all the puppet presidents it has to be said that Calderon has been one of the best. An excellent all-round front man. I'm sure Pe�a Nieto won't be half as good but then if GWB got away with it...
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Enrique Pe�a vs Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador en INGLES Reply with quote

canada_1986 wrote:
...I believe the heads of state for all major countries should be able to speak some English...

So we won't even mention John Chr�tien, eh?

DL
ton a bricks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Chretien? Reply with quote

It's Jean Chretien in English and John Chretien in French. He may be one of the world's only national leaders to have not had any mother tongue!
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Chretien? Reply with quote

ton a bricks wrote:
It's Jean Chretien in English and John Chretien in French. He may be one of the world's only national leaders to have not had any mother tongue!

Very Happy He speaks Shawiniginian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/26/world/americas/mexican-american-dual-nationals-voting/index.html

A nice human interest type article about dual nationals voting.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All hail Nieto...looks like he's won.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ton a bricks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Would you like some salt to rub into the wounds with that??? Reply with quote

There are going to be lots of unhappy people tonight.

At least with Fox there was an illusion that things would get better... But this time around... An illiterate fashion fiend and a soap opera star will make Mexico a laughing stock even more than a cowboy and a social climber managed to...
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect some campers on Reforma and the Zocalo for the next bit..

Actually, things are going to be good under Nieto...very good, for awhile. The PRI game has always been to play the markets to pay out the big names. Over the next 4 years, watch for big bond issues by the central bank, raising tonnes of money. That money will get spread around on infrastructure, and PRI affiliated companies.

After 4 years, they will rapidly increase the bond issues as it becomes clear that Mexico is running too high a public debt. Interest rates will rise and that's where the real money will be earned by those with the cash to invest. Inflation will rise and in time for the next elections, Mexico will be seeking an IMF bailout. And the public purse will be raided again.

It was nice to watch how Mexico took its first steps into real democracy over the last 12 years and built institutions to set itself on a good footing. It will be a shame to see them all undone now.
ton a bricks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Who will benefit? Reply with quote

But isn't that all about trickle up economics? Who gets left holding the bill? The same people as the one's who are paying the influenza porcina and fobaproa bills? I don't doubt there will be lots of hogs to the trough, but which hogs and to whose troughs?
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's keep in mind that his name is Pe�a Nieto, not Nieto.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Who will benefit? Reply with quote

ton a bricks wrote:
But isn't that all about trickle up economics? Who gets left holding the bill? The same people as the one's who are paying the influenza porcina and fobaproa bills? I don't doubt there will be lots of hogs to the trough, but which hogs and to whose troughs?

The Mexican taxpayer, as usual. And Mexicans didn't invent this game by the way....it's easy to see it being played in the US, Greece, Russia...

Quote:

I'm going to go with Pena for the next 6 years...as in que pena
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Who will benefit? Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

Quote:

I'm going to go with Pena for the next 6 years...as in que pena

That seems appropriate. Before the election, I heard him referred to as Pe�a Miento.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24

Jump to: