Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

eleccion 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading about this today elsewhere...one theory put forth was that a lot of Mexicans in the US that have been there for a long time left when PRI was last in power and remember more clearly what it was like under them, and therefore did not vote for Nieto.

Of course another theory might be that Mexicans abroad couldn't be bussed to the polling stations and given a torta and 100 pesos for their vote.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
disraeli123

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: I hope things work out...................................... Reply with quote

To everyone I hope things work out for the best since I'm now legal in Mexico and intend to be here for some time to come. Lets see what happens after 12/1/2012. PRI after all will have to go before the voters again in 2018 and that should give them pause, before they think about going back to their old ways.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The English language press keeps talking about the PRI's return to power. Losing the presidency didn't put the PRI out of power. Out of all of Mexico's elected officials, the PRI has held a majority these last 12 years.

Unfortunately I know a lot of people who have always voted for the PRI and will always vote for the PRI. I also know that a lot of the students I talked to today, didn't get to vote because the special casillas for people who are not in their hometowns did not have enough ballots, even though it would have been easy for IFE to know our towns student population if they wanted to. Many of them would have had to travel 12 or more hours if they had gone to their hometowns to vote. And with final exams starting today, that wasn't really an option.

Guy, I think it's likely that the people abroad feel the PRI symbolized the Mexico they left behind, the Mexico that left them no choice to but immigrate.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the local elections?

The district I live in had senador and diputado federal positions open. Both were won by the PRD. (And we have a PAN major in his second year.)
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.redpolitica.mx/canal/mapa-estatal

Here's a map of how congress, the senate, DF, and the states voted.

PRD was the big winner in congress and PRI at the senate. DF is even further PRD now. PAN is the big loser across the board.

Anyone screaming massive electoral fraud would be at pains to explain how congress came out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jornada.unam.mx/2012/07/03/capital/033n1cap

PRI was giving out pre-paid Soriana cards buying votes...

Quote:
Guy, I think it's likely that the people abroad feel the PRI symbolized the Mexico they left behind, the Mexico that left them no choice to but immigrate.

Probably true...my point was that you can't pay those abroad to vote as was apparently the case here, citing the above story.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

Quote:

Probably true...my point was that you can't pay those abroad to vote as was apparently the case here, citing the above story.

It's the PRI up to its usual tricks. Years ago they would give out sandwiches and refrescos to people they transported to political rallies. Now it's pre-paid Soriana cards.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
http://www.redpolitica.mx/canal/mapa-estatal

Here's a map of how congress, the senate, DF, and the states voted.

PRD was the big winner in congress and PRI at the senate. DF is even further PRD now. PAN is the big loser across the board.

Anyone screaming massive electoral fraud would be at pains to explain how congress came out.

In fact my delegation of Benito Ju�rez is the only one that remains PAN, and that one just! Around 500 votes difference between PAN and PRD.
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

I saw the article earlier. It suggested there was mass panic to exhaust the cards as quickly as possible ... being that there was a rumour that the cards were being cancelled due to election fraud.

Not to be a hypocrite, but the lady wearing the Budweiser t-shirt epitomizes the intellectual level of those who sold their souls.

Isla Guapa wrote:
It's the PRI up to its usual tricks. Years ago they would give out sandwiches and refrescos to people they transported to political rallies. Now it's pre-paid Soriana cards.

They've come a long way baby - from sandwiches and bags of rice to mattresses and electronics Sad
Quote:
Familias enteras llegaban a la tienda a surtir la despensa. Algunas s�lo llevaron bolsas de frijol, arroz y aceite. Otras, cajas de cereal, paquetes con rollos de papel de ba�o. Hubo quien adquiri� colchones o electrodom�sticos.
Quote:
En las filas en las cajas las conversaciones eran abiertas: �Cu�ntas tarjetas te dieron? �Cu�ntos votos conseguiste? Ahora s� el PRI se puso al parejo, pues iba por la grande.
She goes on to say the people got 1 card for each person they brought to the polling station to vote.
Corruption begets corruption - I'm sure the intent was that each person who voted would get a pre-paid card. More likely the one who dragged friends and family in kept ALL the cards, and gave out a bag of rice in return... or a night on the mattress Very Happy .

And still more...
Quote:
"They told us they were worth 500 pesos ($37.50), but when we got to the check-out, they were only worth 100 rotten pesos ($7.50)," Salazar said.

Both she and her father said they had been told to turn in a photocopy of their voter ID card in order to get the gift cards.

Another woman interviewed outside the same Soriana grocery store also complained that her card had only 100 pesos ($7.50) in credit.
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2012/07/03/2589153/accusations-grow-of-vote-buying.html#storylink=cpy

Personally, as far as election fraud claims go - my issue is with those at 100's of polling stations who were denied their constitutional right to vote because they'd run out of voting ballots. I hope someone does a thorough investigation as to which voting districts were left out in the cold vs which political party claims the district. Of course nothing can be done this time round... sadly.

DL
Phil_K

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are they now?

http://bit.ly/MXUBCS
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, even I have to admit that is a little funny. I don't know how many of you have been in Mexico City long enough to remember when the Zocalo was just packed with workmen with signs like that. A lot of them are now at San Lazaro, just outside the station.

I think there are three good things that will come out of the election. First, I think Quique was on the phone with the cartels before the night was over divvying up drug territory, so violence will likely go down, though crime won't. Two, I think that chance were good that had AMLO become president he would have at least had an assassination attempt, if not an actual assassination. Three, I think that the entertainment value with be high with Quique as president.......surely you all remember Dan Quayle......Well, now Mexico has Quique Quayle.
Samantha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young people, in a demonstration initiated on Facebook, got vocal about the situation, and took to the streets of Mazatlan.

"�Enrique, entiende, el pueblo no te quiere!"

http://www.noroeste.com.mx/publicaciones.php?id=794008&id_seccion=6

http://www.noroeste.com.mx/ver_fotos.php?id=44556899&foto=45322854
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24
Page 24 of 24

Jump to: